East Brent Community Portal

Village Hall Management Committee

Monthly Meeting Minutes - 25th October 2017

Minutes of Management Committee Meeting held at the Village Hall at 7.30 on Wednesday 25th October 2017

 

Present: Hugh Mackay, Mike Grant, Janet Nurse, Pat Seabrook, Betty Griffin, June Jessop, Barbara Woodward, Jacqui Collins, Chrissie Tolman.

Item 1: Apologies:

Kay Clarke, Dot Coles

Item 2 Election of Officers

All officers agreed to stand again as per the previous year,

Post Name Proposed by Seconded by

Chairman Hugh Mackay Mike Grant Barbara Woodward

Vice Chairman Betty Griffin Barbara Woodward Pat Seabrook

Secretary Janet Nurse Mike Grant Barbara Woodward

Treasurer Mike Grant Janet Nurse Barbara Woodward

Lottery Officer Pat Seabrook Mike Grant Barbara Woodward

Booking Clerk Betty Griffin Mike Grant Barbara Woodward

Carpet Bowls Jacqui Collins Mike Grant Barbara Woodward

.

Item 3: Minutes of the last meeting:

After the date on the heading had been amended to read October not July and the Lottery winner for the 8th Draw had been corrected to D Rowsell, the Minutes were approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman.

Item 4: Matters arising:

1. Heating Options. Hugh recommended that the existing heating remain unchanged following advice from a heating engineer. He was advised that it would be difficult to improve on without incurring huge cost for minimum improvement. The Committee agreed to continue with the existing heating, and to replace heating elements as and when they fail.

2. Arrange for Fire Risk Assessment to be completed. Janet confirmed this has been done by herself and Dot Coles. It was noted that 2 of the doors were not closing tightly against the framework. Subsequent enquiries confirmed that the closure is adequate to prevent fire spread – the intumescent strip is what is preventing tight closure. Pre-School will check on the door closures each time they check the fire alarm.

3. Hand Driers. Hugh advised the appropriate drier would cost £126.00 (incl. VAT). The Committee approved the purchase of 3 driers, one for each toilet. He will confirm Installation costs with Steve McGreavy. Betty will arrange with June Leather to order some interleaved paper towels for the main kitchen.

4. Outside Lights. Mike will speak to Steve McGreavy about these and also the Fire Exit Light in the Main Hall which isn’t working.

Item 4: Correspondence:

Janet has forwarded all items of correspondence received on e-mail around the Committee.

Item 5: Treasurer’s Report:

See attached. Mike drew the attention of the Committee to the 2017/2018 Budget proposing this be accepted by the Committee. This was unanimously agreed. The current financial position was noted.

Item 6: Hall Bookings:

Betty reported that there are no additional bookings for November.

Item 7: Lottery:

10th Draw – 25.10.17

1. £10.00 – 49 Janet Nurse

2. £30.00 – 73 Renate Wheeler

3. £80.00 – 114 Pat Seabrook

Item 8: Representative Reports:

1. Slimming World. Chrissie reported that all was going well. She asked the permission of the Committee to set up on Friday evening provided the Hall was not booked. This was agreed. She has also asked for the Wifi code so that she will be able to use a payment machine. The relevant information was provided.

2. History Meeting. Betty informed the Committee that the last meeting had looked at wartime cookery books.

3. Harvest Home. There was nothing to report as the next meeting was pending.

4. Parish Council. Barbara reported the following;

i. Mrs Carla Searle had recently been co-opted onto the Parish Council.

ii. Colin Loader had received the Somerset County Chairman Award.

iii. 2 notice boards had been ordered to replace the existing ones outside.

iv. Remembrance Day arrangements were being made, it was hoped the traffic on A370 would be halted for Minutes Silence.

5. Carpet Bowls. Jacqui advised that the machine needed a minor repair and asked for the Committee’s approval for the necessary funding. This was given.

6. Day Centre. June advised there were no changes to the numbers.

7. St Mary’s Church. In the absence of Dot Coles, Janet read out an e-mail message;

i. There was to be a Confirmation Service at Wells Cathedral at. 2pm on November 4th.

ii. This year’s Light of Love service was at St Michael’s Church, Brent Knoll on Sunday 19th November.

iii. A coffee morning in aid of St Mary’s Church was being held at 9 Johnson Close.

Item 9: Premises/Health & Safety

There was nothing to discuss

Item 10: Certificate Renewals

Gas Check was due. Mike will arrange.

PAT testing is also due. Mike will contact Steve McGreavy.

Item 11: Any Other Business:

1. It was reported that the Gent’s urinals had been marked with red paint. There had also been sand on the floor of the Main Hall. Hugh will mention this to Pre-School.

2. Hugh informed the Committee that he had received a request from the Chair of Governors, East Brent First School, to replace the existing Pre-School signage with an updated version to indicate the link to the First School. It will comply with planning regulations and will not exceed the required size. The Committee agreed.

3. Day Centre requested that June Leather do her weekly clean on Thursday evening. This was because they frequently found the Hall less clean then they would wish and had to spend time sweeping and wiping down before they could set up themselves. Betty will ask June.

Item 12: Fire Exit & Light Audit:

This has been done. It was also noted that the exterior light on the front side of the building works intermittently. Mike will mention this to Steve.

Item 13: Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Wednesday 22nd November 2017. The meeting closed at 20.24

 

Confirmed as a true record of the meeting....................................Date...............

Web design by Devnox Ltd.