East Brent Community Portal

Village Hall Management Committee

Monthly Meeting Minutes - 15th September 2016

East Brent Village Hall

HALLMARK *

Registered Charity No.269419

Minutes of Management Committee Meeting held at the Village Hall at 7.30 on Wednesday 15th September 2016

Present:         Hugh Mackay, Mike Grant, Tony Collins, Phil Coles, Betty Griffin, Barbara Woodward, Pat Seabrook, June Jessop, Janet Nurse, Kaye Clark.

Item 1:             Apologies:

Toni Andrews, Dot Coles, Wendy Summers  

Item 2:             Minutes of the last meeting:

The Minutes were approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman.

Item 3:            Matters arising:

1.      Obtain further details re Heating System options. Hugh advised that this is ongoing.

2.      Advise Geoff Adams re additional works. This was done and Geoff has been paid.  

3.      Continue liaison re dishwasher installation and electrical checks. This has all been completed.

4.      Obtain further information and costing re replacement chairs. Phil has now obtained the necessary 3 quotations for funding purposes for the preferred chair. The Committee agreed that a quotation from Church Buying Group in the sum of £1949.16 for 80 chairs was most appropriate and should be pursued, subject to available funding (see below).

5.      Pass lottery proceeds to Mike. This has been done.

Item 4:             Correspondence:

Janet has forwarded all items of correspondence to members of the Committee.  

Item 5:             Treasurer’s Report:

Mike had already circulated the End of Year Accounts and Annual Report of the Trustees around the Committee, prior to the meeting. In summary Mike advised that the Hall hire income for this year exceeded last year’s by nearly £2000.00, and as a result there was a net inflow of unrestricted funds of £1967, after acquisition of the dishwasher, water heater and door finger guards. Additionally much of the Hall had been redecorated in the summer. The Committee unanimously approved the Accounts and Trustee Report. He had prepared a provisional budget for next year on the assumption that income would be in the region of £13,000.00 and normal expenditure around £10,000.00 This would allow exceptional expenditure of around £5000.00 by the end of the year if these figures were achieved.

Item 6:             Hall Bookings:

Betty reported the following additional bookings for September

·         Additional Slimming World meeting

·         Birthday Party

·         Police Social.

There were already 3 additional bookings for October.

Item 7:             Lottery:

                        9th Draw – 3.08.16

1.    £10.00 –  47 Jane Smith

2.    £10.00 –  164 Audrey Dinham

3.    £10.00  -  192 Jenny Bunn

10th Draw – 17.08.16

1.    £20.00 – 171 Brian Rutherford

2.    £30.00 –169 John Bowden

1.    £80.00 – 196 Claire Darby

1st Draw – 31.08.16

1.    £10.00 – 67 Jane Field

2.    £10.00 – 61 Dexter Bowers

3.    £10.00 – 76 S Markoutsas

2nd Draw – 14.9.16

1.    £10.00 – 108 Tony Collins

2.    £10.00 – 34 Alan Baker

3.    £10.00 – 11 Edith Roberts

Item 8:             Representative Reports:

1.    St Mary’s Church. In Dot’s absence Phil reported that the Church were holding a ‘Sing a Long ‘with cheese and wine on 8th October in the Village Hall, featuring Richard Lennox.

2.    Pre-School. Kaye reported that there were currently 20 on the books with more to join in January.

3.    History Group. There had been an interesting talk on ‘bench ends’ at the last meeting. (Featuring those at both St Mary’s and St Michaels)

4.    Parish Council. Barbara had nothing to report as the next meeting was pending.

5.    Day Centre. June reported that transport was a bit of an issue at the moment but the numbers had gone up to 19.

6.     Carpet Bowls. Tony reported that they had concluded their year with the usual competitions and all had gone well.

7.     Harvest Home. Betty reported that this year’s event had been enjoyed by all and the weather had been great.  

Item 9:             Premises/Health & Safety

1.    Door Closures. It was reported that Steve has 3 new batteries to install. A couple of the doors were not closing tightly.

2.    Electrical Certificates – This is in progress.

3.    Finger Protection. The disabled toilet remains to be done, this is ongoing.

4.    There will be an inspection of the kitchen premises by Environmental Health on 21st September.     

Item 10:          Certificate Renewals:

Fire Risk Assessment is due in October. Janet will organise this.  

Item 11:          Any Other Business:

1.    Crockery. Janet reported that Judy Webb from Rossholme had enquired whether the Village Hall was interested in the commercial quality china she was selling following the closure of her business. Janet and Jacqui Collins had looked at it and agreed it would be a good idea to purchase some. A price of £2.00 per place setting had been suggested for a total of 50 place settings. (comprising dinner plate, cup & saucer, tea plate and desert dish). The Committee unanimously agreed to the purchase at a total cost of £100. Janet will organise.

2.    Curtains. Janet, Dot and Jacqui (representing Tony Collins) had looked at a selection of fabrics and obtained 2 firm quotations with one more to be confirmed. Fabric swatches had been examined and a majority preference had been provisionally agreed. Mike suggested that as it would be appropriate to obtain funding for the curtains and chairs as a joint project, once all the necessary quotations had been obtained. The Committee agreed.

3.    Pictures. Following the redecoration of the Hall and removal of some old framed certificates, it was felt necessary to obtain some pictures to fill the gaps. It was at this point that Tony Collins presented 2 pictures. The first was a digitally enhanced and enlarged photograph of the bonfire built on top of Brent Knoll to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Jubilee. The second was an aerial view of East Brent given by Klaus and Sheila Kemp. The Committee were all delighted with the gifts and thanks were given to Tony. Janet will organise a notice of ‘thanks’ to insert in the parish magazine.

Item 12:          Fire Exit & Light Audit:

This has been done.

Item 13:          Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Wednesday 26th October and will be preceded by the AGM. Hugh gave his apologies for his absence, Tony was officially thanAGM.  The meeting closed at 20.36.

 

 

 

 

 

Confirmed as a true record of the meeting....................................Date....................

Signed by Chairman/Vice Chairman (sign as appropriate)

Web design by Devnox Ltd.