East Brent Community Portal

Village Hall Management Committee

Monthly Meeting Minutes - 11th May 2016

Minutes of Management Committee Meeting held at the Village Hall at 7.30 on Wednesday 11th May 2016

 

Present:         Hugh Mackay, Mike Grant, Tony Collins, Janet Nurse, Dot Coles, Phil Coles, Betty Griffin, Kay Clarke.

Item 1:             Apologies:

Toni Andrews, June Jessop, Barbara Woodward, Pat Seabrook, Wendy Summers.

Item 2:             Minutes of the last meeting:

The Minutes were approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman.

Item 3:            Matters arising:

1.      Contact Contractor to find out about section of Hall floor not done. Hugh has attempted to make contact but with no luck. The issue seems to have resolved itself and he will take no further action at present.

2.    Contact pre-School re cleanliness issues and cube requirements. Done.

3.    Fix date with Vince Davey to fit gas water heating for use in the sink in the main kitchen. Done. Tony has also adjusted the pressure of cold water and all is working well.

4.    Look into possible heating options to replace existing overhead heating in Main Hall and possible grant applications. Ongoing.

5.    Obtain certification for PAT testing from Steve McGreavy. Still no certificate but testing done.

6.    Attempt to replace Grace Hudson room hatch. Done.

7.    Obtain written quotations for dishwasher and installation from contractors. Done.

8.    Acquire and affix ashtray to front of building. This has been purchased and Phil will affix. The keys will be held by June Leather and Betty.

9.    Advise Pre-School re Referendum date. Done    

Item 4:             Correspondence:

Janet has forwarded all items of correspondence to members of the Committee.

Mike also read out a letter received from Somerset County Council, Civil Contingencies Unit asking that the Hall be made available in the event of an emergency. Consent was unanimously given.

Item 5:             Treasurer’s Report:

See attached. Mike reported the following;

1.    Current hire income exceeds the same period last year by £1000.

2.    Awards for All application for dishwasher has now been submitted and the outcome is awaited.

 

 

  

Item 6:             Hall Bookings:

Betty reported the following additional bookings;

·         26.5.16 Rainbows Show. Hugh suggested that it would be a good idea for the Pre-School to remove their Cube from the stage area. Kay agreed to pass this on. Betty also pointed out that additional chairs may be required and asked permission to borrow these from Methodist Hall. This was agreed.

·         2.6.16 Retired police officers social event.

·         Pre-School will be using the Hall on Monday  up to 3pm 5th September.

Item 7:             Lottery:

                        10th Draw – 30.3.16

1.    £20.00 – 193 Bob Bees

2.    £30.00 –  103 Mrs Vile

3.    £80  - 152 East Brent Day Centre

Item 8:             Representative Reports:

1.    Carpet Bowls. Tony advised that ideally they would have 2 or 3 more members. There are 14 regulars.

2.    St Mary’s Church. Dot advised that the Silent Auction Event had been a great success raising £800.00. She also advised that the Church Fete on 2nd July was well on in the planning. It was agreed that the Village Hall stall would include promotion of the Lottery as more tickets need to be sold.

3.     Day Centre. In the absence of the rep. Tony was reported that 2 new members had joined and everything appeared to be going well.

4.     Harvest Home. Betty confirmed bookings were well underway for the forthcoming event.

5.     History Group. The last meeting had looked at events 100 years ago.

6.     Pre-School. Kay reported that everything is going well, but did advise that a couple of children had recently caught their fingers in the doors into the Main Hall, one needing an x-ray. She requested permission to install door hinge guards. Hugh will source and arrange installation as a Health & Safety issue.

7.     Thursday Club. Dot gave the last report for the group who have now finished due to diminishing numbers. The decision to close was made at the last meeting when only 8 members were present. Former members plan to meet once a month for a meal out. The group will have a final Xmas meal on 8th December in the Hall.

8.     Line Dancing. In the absence of the rep. it was reported that the group were growing. However it was noted at the last meeting that the floor appeared ‘sticky’ and was not suitable for dancing. Betty will have a word with June to confirm that no cleaning agent is responsible before any further action is taken. It was noted that the ‘stickiness’ uniformly affected the entire floor area

Item 9:             Premises/Health & Safety

It was noted that one of the doors in the hallway is not closing. It was suggested the battery may need attention. Also 2 of the emergency lights are not working. Tony will make the necessary contact.  

Item 10:          Certificate Renewals:

Fire Extinguisher check is due. Janet will arrange.

Electrical Check is coming up. Tony will contact Steve McGreavy.

 

 

 

Item 11:          Any Other Business:

·         Ladies Toilet. Dot advised that the decoration needs some attention and it was pointed out that a number of areas of the Hall are looking in need of redecoration. Mike will have a word with Geoff Adams.

·         Hugh advised that he will be away for the AGM (9 Oct – 29 Nov), however is happy to continue on the Committee.

·         Betty reported that comment had been made regarding Pre-Schools use of the Grace Hudson Room (GHR) without making an additional payment. The Committee agreed this was acceptable and would apply to all regular hall users except when the GHR is separately let to someone else

Item 12:          Fire Exit & Light Audit:

This has been done but 2 Emergency lights  in Main Hall are not working.

Item 13:          Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Wednesday 22nd June 2016. The meeting closed at 20.18.

 

Web design by Devnox Ltd.