East Brent Community Portal

Village Hall Management Committee

Monthly Meeting Minutes - 23rd September 2015

Minutes of Management Committee Meeting held at the Village Hall at 7.30 on Wednesday 23rd September 2015

 

Present:         Hugh Mackay, Mike Grant, Tony Collins, Janet Nurse, Dot Coles, Phil Coles, Pat Seabrook, Betty Griffin, June Jessop, Toni Andrews. The Chairman welcomed Kay Clarke as the new representative for Pre-School.

Item 1:             Apologies:

Wendy Summers, Barbara Woodward.

The Chairman reported that he had received a letter of resignation from Jane Ratcliffe who has another commitment on Wednesday evenings and so is unable to attend the meetings. The Chairman will do a letter of thanks for her services. 

Item 2:             Minutes of the last meeting:

The Minutes were approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman.

Item 3:            Matters arising:

1. Affix self-adhesive stickers to windows indicating opening procedure. Janet confirmed that these are now in place.

2. Arrange to remove overgrown branches from the bin area and kill weeds in parking area. Hugh confirmed the overgrown branches had been removed. Tony and Phil advised that the weed killing had been done, but it may be necessary to repeat the procedure as there was some regrowth.

3. Check with Steve McGreavy maintenance of fire doors, and whether it is necessary to keep ‘spare bits’. The fire doors have been done and the ‘spare bits’ are to be stored in the cleaner’s cupboard.

4. Arrange re-threading of curtain track string. This is not possible so Janet will arrange for a new track to be fitted.

5. Confirm requirements of insurance company re’Gable end Project’. This has been done.

Item 4:             Correspondence:

Janet has received the following items of correspondence on e-mail which have been forwarded around the Committee.

·         25.8.15 CCS Thatch Newsletter

·         26.8.15 CCS August Newsletter

·         26.8.15 CCS Launch of new funding portal

·         6.9.15 Charity Commission Autumn Newsletter

·         18.9.15 CCS September Newsletter

Mike received a plaque from Viridor to display in the Hall. Janet will arrange fitting. 

Item 5:             Treasurer’s Report:

Mike had prepared the end of year Accounts and Annual Report (attached) which had already been circulated around the Committee earlier for their perusal. Mike proposed the Committee accept this subject to approval by an independent examiner Hugh seconded and the Committee unanimously approved the documents.

Mike advised that the Gable-end Project was now paid in full - £3930.00 from Committee funds, £4000.00 Viridor grant, the balance being covered by our insurers, Zurich Insurance. (£1820.00)

The balance in the Committee’s accounts of £14.5k well exceeds the agreed reserves for the forthcoming year. 

Item 6:             Hall Bookings:

Betty reported that she had received the following additional bookings;

·         2.10.15 Band Practice

·         3.10.15 All day booking

·         14.10 15 Birthday party

·         17.10.15 Autumn Fayre

·         19.10.15 Evening booking

Item 7:             Lottery:

                        Pat reported that she had finally received the new lottery cards.

                        1st Draw – 23.9.15

1.    £10.00 – 149 Monica Stephens

2.    £10.00 – 137 David Tremlett

3.    £10.00 – 117 Sandra Ross

2nd Draw – 22.7.15

1.    £10.00 – 130 Julie Melsom

2.    £10.00 – 33 Hilda Sims

3.    £10.00 – 127 Gill Willoughby

3rd Draw – 5.8.15

1.    £10.00 – 98 Sheila Parkin

2.    £10.00 – 196 Claire Darby

3.    £10.00 – 43 Lindsey Homer

4th Draw – 19.8.15

1.    £10.00 – 2 Graham Janes

2.    £10.00 – 127 Gill Willoughby

3.    £10.00 – 93 John Knight

5th Draw – 2.9.15

1.    £10.00 – 55 David Jolliffe

2.    £10.00 – 127 Gill Willoughby

3.    £10.00 – 46 Jane Ratcliffe

6th Draw – 16.9.15

1.    £10.00 – 52 Annie Marsh

2.    £10.00 – 63 Mario Dolcezzo

3.    £10.00 – 46 Jane Ratcliffe

Item 8:             Representative Reports:

1.    Thursday Club – Janet reported that the last speaker had dressed up in authentic costume to talk about the Battle of Sedgemoor. The meeting had been well attended and everyone enjoyed the talk.    

2.    Carpet Bowls. Tony reported it was going well. They had lost 2 members but had gained 2 new members.

3.    Day Centre. June reported everything was going well. One of the cooks was leaving but June didn’t anticipate this causing a problem.

4.    St Mary’s Church. Dot reported that a Barn Dance was planned for 3rd October. Events had also been planned for next year – Silent Auction, Hot Pot Supper and the Summer Fete which would take place on 2nd July. She also reported that the newly set up Community Choir was going very well.

5.    History Group. Betty reported that there had been no August meeting and she had been unable to attend the September meeting so couldn’t report on it.

6.    Harvest Home. Betty advised that this had been a very successful event this year.  Plans were going ahead for next year’s event.

7.    Pre-School. Kay reported that there were 20+ on register and they had recently taken on a new member of staff to replace one who left.

8.    Slimming World. Toni reported that they had had 21 on the first day and had got up to 38 so far. She was anticipating the numbers continuing to rise. She requested that the banner attached to the front railing, stay in position a little longer and was advised that for planning purposes 1 month was the maximum. She was planning a campaign to attract further members this week, after which the banner would be removed. She also reported debris falling during the roof repairs which had narrowly missed one of her members. The same lady had also suffered a metal cable clip penetrating her foot through her shoe as a result of builder debris. The Committee apologised and advised that the builder should have been made aware of users to the Hall that day but was also at fault for leaving debris around and not making the area safe.

Item 9:             Premises/Health & Safety

Steve McGreavy had replaced the exterior lights but there was still some tidying up to be done to the exterior wiring.

It was also reported that the microphone needed checking. Phil and Tony will look at this at the end of the meeting.

Item 10:          Certificate Renewals:

1.    Gas Safety Check. Mike will follow this up.

2.    PAT testing. Mike will remind Steve McGreavy

3.    Fire Risk Assessment. Janet and Phil will arrange this

Item 11:          Any Other Business:

1.    Betty reported that a number of dead bats had been found during cleaning. Hugh confirmed that the necessary spacing had been left between the roof tiles to accommodate them and nothing more could be done.

2.    It was also reported that the small kitchen needed to be left ventilated (one serving hatch door to be left open) otherwise there was quite a strong unpleasant smell from the mops stored in there.

3.    The hot tap in the kitchen is running very slowly. Hugh will check this after the meeting.

Item 12:          Fire Exit & Light Audit:

This has been done.

Item 13:          Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Wednesday 28th October 2015. This will be the AGM followed by the monthly management meeting. The meeting closed at 20.30.

Web design by Devnox Ltd.