East Brent Community Portal

Village Hall Management Committee

Monthly Meeting Minutes - 25th February 2015

East Brent Village Hall

HALLMARK *

Registered Charity No.269419

Minutes of Management Committee Meeting held at the Village Hall at 7.30 on Wednesday 25th February 2015

 

Present:         Mike Grant, Janet Nurse, Dot Coles, Phil Coles, Wendy Summers, Barbara Woodward, Pat Seabrook, June Jessop, Betty Griffin.

                               Item 1:             Apologies:

               Hugh Mackay, Tony Collins, Jane Ratcliffe.

               Betty Griffin once again chaired the meeting in the absence of both the Chairman and Vice Chairman.

                               Item 2:             Minutes of the last meeting:

                               The Minutes were approved by the Committee and signed by the acting Chairman.

                               Item 3:            Matters arising:

1. Obtain ‘break glass here’ stickers. This remains outstanding.

2. Obtain remaining signatures for Trustee list. Although more have been obtained since the last meeting, it is not possible to complete the task at the moment due to absence.

3. Contact Steve McGreavy re Fire Light exit. This remains outstanding. Mike will make contact again.

4. Speak to John Leather re missing door beads. This is partially done, as more beading is required. Mike will contact Geoff Adams.

5. Continue to liaise with contractors re roofing project, All is ready to ‘go’. The contractor will start on 27th July.

6. Arrange for removal of ramp from pre-school storage shed to allow access for drain inspection. Mike and Geoff Adams unscrewed and lifted the ramp clear. The drains have been inspected (see Item 9).

7. Arrange removal of items belonging to Pre-School and Day Centre from small kitchen. Pre-School reported that none of the items belonged to them. It was arranged that the kitchen would be cleared on 20th March in readiness for use by the hirers, after the Day Centre had finished.

                              Item 4:             Correspondence:

                              Janet had received correspondence on e-mail which has been forwarded around the Committee. They were as follows;·        

                              Community Council for Somerset Newsletter (4.2.15)·        

                              Community Council for Somerset  Transport Workshop (25.2.15)

               ·              Charity Commission Newsletter (2.2..15)

               ·              SCC notification of increase in membership subs and acknowledgement of our response (2.2.15)  

                                                                

                            Item 5:             Treasurer’s Report:

See attached.

Mike advised hire fees were £200.00 ahead of the same time last year.  An amount of £278.56 had been paid to Steve McGreavy (PAT testing etc.) in January and £150.00 for the drain inspection was due to be paid.

                            Item 6:             Hall Bookings:

Betty reported the following additional bookings.

·         15.3.15 All day band practise.

·         20/21.3.15 – Wedding

·         She had also received an enquiry for a Birthday party on 23.3.15 but to date this has not been confirmed.

                            Item 7:             Lottery:

                           10th Draw – 04.02.15

                           1. £20.00 –  25 David Veal

                           2. £30.00 – 79 Phil Coles

                           3. £80.00 – 4 Margaret Liddington                             

                           Item 8:             Representative Reports:

1. History Club. Betty reported that there had been no speaker for February, but the speaker on 4th March would be talking and acting the part of a scullery maid.

2. Harvest Home. Betty advised that there had been discussion relating to the raising of money for the event. The toilets and marquee have been booked.

3..Thursday Club. Janet reported that the speaker for the February meeting was a retired estate agent, who gave a very entertaining talk about his experiences. The speaker for March would be talking about training guide dogs for the blind.

4. Line Dancing. Wendy advised that both the classes were now very well attended.

5. Day Centre. June reported that the group had raised £100.00 for the Heart Foundation. They remained full with a waiting list.

6. Parish Council. Barbara reported that

·         A new clerk had been appointed and a small gift presented to the retiring clerk.

·         Preparations were in hand for the next edition of the parish magazine.

·         The hedge trimming around the village had made a bit difference to the general appearance of the environment.

7. St Mary’s Church. Dot reported that

·         A Lent course had started at St Michaels Church,

·         The Easter services would be held at Lympsham Church.

·         The Church Fete would be held on the Village Green on 6th June. She requested that they may borrow some of the Village Hall tables as usual. This was agreed.

8. Carpet Bowls. Pat reported that attendance was good with 12-14 people per session.

                             Item 9:             Premises/Health & Safety

1.    It was reported that the hot tap on the sink in the main kitchen was loose. Mike will organise a plumber to fix it.  

2.    The Committee were asked for their confirmation that the 4 doors not already fitted with Freedoor automatic closing should be fitted. Funding had been sort from the Nuttall Trust, but if this was not forthcoming, the cost would be met from our own funds. This was unanimously agreed.

        3.    The report and recommendations following the drain inspection is awaited. But during the inspection it was pointed out that the manhole covers will need some attention – loose overhanging brickwork posed a possible hazard in terms of blockage.

                            Item 10:          Certificate Renewals:

                            There were none.

                            Item 11:          Any Other Business:

1 .It was reported that the fire alarm check point into which a key is inserted when the check is made, had become loose. This was re screwed at the end of the meeting.

2. The ramp to the shed was replaced although it was observed that the shed was unlocked. 

                             Item 12:          Fire Exit & Light Audit:

This has been done, but the one of the fire exit lights remains not working. (see Matters Arising Item 3)

                             Item 13:          Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Wednesday 25th March 2015. The meeting closed at 20.09.

 

Confirmed as a true record of the meeting....................................Date....................

Signed by Chairman/Vice Chairman (sign as appropriate)

Web design by Devnox Ltd.