East Brent Community Portal

Village Hall Management Committee

Monthly Meeting Minutes - October 2014

Minutes of Management Committee Meeting held at the Village Hall at 7.30 on Wednesday 22nd October 2014

 

Present:         Hugh Mackay, Mike Grant, Janet Nurse, Dot Coles, Wendy Summers, Barbara Woodward,  June Jessop, Betty Griffin, Tony Collins, Emmalene Gammon, Mary Ellen Harris (representing Jane Ratcliffe), Pat Seabrooke.

Item 1:                  Apologies:        Jane Ratcliffe.

Item 2:                  Minutes of the last meeting

                               The Minutes were approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman.

Item 3:                  Matters arising:

1.     Purchase new mop for Pre-School use. This has been purchased.

2.     Contact Pre-School regarding removal of table tennis bats from drain in outside playing area. This has been done.

3.     Arrange annual Fire Risk Assessment inspection. This is outstanding.

4.     Contact drain clearing company to check kitchen drains. These have been cleared.

5.     Make enquiries regarding loan of scaffold tower for asbestos inspection. Tony advised that that the asbestos inspector said a ladder would be fine, and the inspection will be done on Thursday30thth October. Steve McGreavy has offered to  help with erecting the ladder on loan from Jewsons.

6.     Contact Steve McGreavy re doorbell and signing of Emergency Lighting Register. *Tony advised that the Steve had confirmed the Register had been signed. He also advised that Steve will do the PAT testing whilst present for the asbestos inspection.

7.     Gas Check. This is pending and will be done by Vince Davey next week..

8.     Purchase of new kettle and clock. Both have been purchased.

9.     Ask John Leather to replace missing door beading. Betty confirmed that John has agreed to do it.

10. Endeavour to find replacement contractor for roofing job. Hugh has made contact with 3 contractors, one of whom has responded. He advised that it is unlikely that the job will be done before Easter at the earliest and more likely summer of 2015. Mike Grant advised that our funders have been advised of the situation. Tony confirmed that he has also spoken to the insurers who have said that no increase of monies will be given, the original amount agreed will stand

11. Confirm details for Ladies water heater and Gents urinal. This is ongoing.

12.  Make applications for funds re 4 new Freedoor closers. Hugh confirmed that an application has been submitted to the Nuttall Trust.

*Mike could not find evidence of a signature to confirm the Emergency Lighting has been checked. Tony will speak to Steve McGreavy next week..

Item 4:                  Correspondence:

1. Janet had received correspondence on e-mail which has been forwarded around the Committee. She also advised that she had received a phone call the previous day from the Community Council for Somerset to inform the Committee that we had been given the Sedgemoor District Area Award from Hallmark.  

2. Mike had received a letter from MPLC (motion picture licensing corporation) which informed us that any commercial film showing in the Hall would require a license. Hugh advised that should such a situation arise, we would obtain a license and asked the Committee to be aware of the situation. Hugh will respond to MPLC stating that at present the Village Hall does not require a license as such.                                               

Item 5:                 Treasurer’s Report:

Mike had prepared a Provisional Budget which was unanimously approved and adopted by the Committee (see attached). He also advised that we were an additional £1000 in hand at the end of September. On behalf of the Committee Dot thanked Mike for his work in managing the funds.

Item 6:                 Hall Bookings:

Betty advised that only 2 additional bookings have been made for November.

Item                    Lottery:

                             1st Draw – 01.10.14   

             1. £10.00 – 04 Margert Liddington

                             2. £10.00 - 118 Gillian Ham

                             3. £10.00 – 31 Kath Sims

                        2nd Draw – 15.10.14.  

                            1.    £10.00 – 91 Mario Dolcezza

                            2.      £10.00 – 02 Graham Janes

                            3.      £10.00 – 119 Keith Bellingham

Item 8:             Representative Reports:

1.      Carpet Bowls. Tony reported that the numbers were good. They were holding their Xmas event on 17th December at The Lamb in Axbridge.

2.      Line Dancing. Wendy reported that she had had 1 new beginner. She will soon be splitting the class with Matthew who will run the advanced class.

3.      Day Centre/Active Living. June reported that they were very full and well supported by helpers.

4.      Parish Council. Barbara advised that the new parish magazine was now up and running thanks to Judy Webb, Bill Walker, Colin Loader and Ron Champion. The Defibrillator Demonstration on 20th October had been well attended. The No Pilrow campaign seems to have been successful as Broadview haven’t appealed against the appeal.

5.      St Mary’s Church Dot advised that the Harvest celebrations had gone well. The milk churn decorations went down particularly well. The Lights of Love service will be held at Brent Knoll church on 22 November. The Support Groups for Cancer Care (held on 3rd Thursday of the month), Alzheimer/Dementia (Monday afternoons) and Bereavement (4th Thursday of the month) were proving to be very helpful. The stone cross in the churchyard is being cleaned.

6.      Harvest Home. Betty reported that there had been no meetings to report on, one was due.

7.      Historical Society. Nothing to report.

8.      Pre-School. Emmalene asked if the Hall could be decorated in time for their shopping event on 14th November. Committee members were asked to help if they could on Wednesday 12th November at 2pm.

9.      Thursday Club. Mary Ellen reported that the speaker at the last meeting had spoken about falconry. The meeting was quite well attended. November’s meeting will be about Xmas decorations.

Item 9:             Premises/Health & Safety

                        Nothing to report that hadn’t already been covered.

Item 10:          Certificate Renewals:

·         PAT. This has already been noted and will be done.

·         Fire Risk Assessment. This too has been noted and will be done.

Item 11:          Any Other Business:

Betty advised that she had not received forms from some of the new key holders. These were Pre-School, Parish Council and Line Dancing. The relevant forms were issued to the group reps and will be completed and returned to Betty for her records.

Item 12:          Fire Exit & Light Audit:

This has been done.

Item 13:          Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Wednesday 26th November 2014    

The meeting closed at 20.25

 

Confirmed as a true record of the meeting....................................Date....................

Signed by Chairman/Vice Chairman (sign as appropriate)

 

Web design by Devnox Ltd.