East Brent Community Portal

Village Hall Management Committee

Monthly Meeting Minutes - 19th June 2014

Minutes of Management Committee Meeting held at the Village Hall at 7.30 on Thursday 19th June 2014

 

Present:         Hugh Mackay, Mike Grant, Janet Nurse, Dot Coles, Barbara Woodward, June Jessop, Betty Griffin, Tony Collins, Pat Seabrook, Emmaline Gammon.

Emma Allen, Pre-School Representative, had reported that she would not always be able to attend the monthly committee meetings and advised that another member of staff would represent Pre-School instead. Emmaline Gammon represented Pre-School on this occasion.

Item 1:           Apologies:

                       Ann Ellis, Wendy Summers, Jane Ratcliffe.

Item 2:          Minutes of the last meeting:

                      The Minutes were approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman.

Item 3:          Matters arising:

1. Contact Performing Rights Society regarding new certificate. Janet advised that she had been informed by PRS that they no longer send out annual certificates. The annual invoice and statement are the only necessary legal documents to support the fact we have a licence in place. These have been duly displayed
2. Continue to oversee grant applications. This is ongoing.

3 .Investigate fire door mechanical hold-open/closure options. Tony had explored 2 possibilities, but only one (an acoustic Dorgard fire door retainer, which is like a normal top of door closer) would fit our doors and this cost £1170.00 including VAT to supply (installation would be extra). It was suggested that funding be sought possibly from the Nuttall Trust. Approval for the installation was given in principal by the Committee subject to funding.

4. Contact Steve McGreavy re doorbell and signing Emergency Lighting register. This is ongoing.

5. Arrange for Quotation to reseal ‘whistling’ windows in the Hall. Betty confirmed that her contact had found no obvious fault but would be happy to come again on a windy day.

6. Explore options for hot water in Ladies Toilet. Tony will make contact with Vince Davey to explore options.

7. Contact successful contractor to discuss commencement of work to exterior. This is ongoing.

Item 4:         Correspondence:                           

                      Janet had received correspondence on e-mail which has been forwarded around the Committee. They were as follows;

                      29.5.14 Information regarding ‘Worry Free Housing’ from Taunton Heritage Trust.

                      4.6.14 Response from PRS following enquiry about certification. See Item 3 number 1.

                      12.5.14 Notice of Community Council for Somerset AGM on 23 October 2014.

                      In addition Janet had received a phone call from a member of the Hallmark Inspection Team to arrange an inspection date which has now been confirmed as                              14th July.

Item 5:          Treasurer’s Report:

                       See attached. 

                      Mike also advised that the hire fees income was were up on last year. Also that the Solar Panels were working well and that income to date was £636.00 more                           than the previous hyear, with a further £700.00 approximately due for the quarter to May.

Item 6:          Hall Bookings:

                      Betty advised there were no additional bookings but confirmed that short notice enquires were often received.

Item 7:          Lottery

                      1st Draw – 14.05.14

1. £10.00 – 76 Rita Jolliffe

2. £10.00 - 147 Jade Rutherford

3. £10.00 – 188 Bob Turnbull 

2nd Draw – 28.05.14 

1. £10.00 – 183 Val Davies 

2. £10.00 – 12 Phylis Lufkin 

3. £10.00 – 99 Andy Grant

3rd Draw – 11.06.11. 

1. £10.00 – 179 Janet Nurse 

2. £10.00 -87 Andrew Melsom 

3. £10.00 – 2 Graham James

Item 8:            Representative Reports: 

                        1. Pre-School. Emmaline reported the following;

                        The Mouse Race had raised £1033.00.

                        The children had been on a trip to Jumping Jacks. 

                        There were currently 24 children on roll. 12 would be going to school in September and the number per session would then drop to between 8 and 12.

                         Ants had been a problem in the main Hall. Janet will purchase and apply a suitable product to eradicate the infestation.

                         A replacement mop was requested as the existing one needed replacing. Betty will speak to June

                       2. History Group. Betty advised that members heard about village life from a previous resident now in her 90’s. She also reported that in November the group                              plan a WW1 display along with Brent Knoll and Lympsham. This was currently in the planning stage. 

                        3. Harvest Home. Betty reported that the tickets will go on sale on July 28th in the Grace Hudson Room priced at £17.00. The Harvest Home Committee have                            also produced a calendar of the village and she requested that copies could be sold at the Church Fete on the Village Hall stall. This was agreed.

                        4.Parish Council. Barbara reported that the new Chairperson was Val Rawles and Judy Webb was the Vice-chairperson. Bob Filmer had spoken at the meeting                          regarding changes to planning permission. The new playing field at Rooksbridge was progressing well but would not be open for use until the spring.

                        5.  Active Living/Day Centre. June advised that the group was now over-subscribed and as a result enquired about purchasing some new arm chairs.(probably                           two) June will make enquiries and report back to the meeting.

                        6. Carpet Bowls. Tony hadn’t been recently but confirmed all was going well.

                        7.St Mary’s Church. Dot reported that the recent Open Garden event had not raised as much this year as in previous years but it had still been an enjoyable                              event. She also confirmed that the Church Fete would be on 5th July. 

                        8.Thursday Club. Janet reported that the group had enjoyed a chocolate tasting and demonstration. It had been well attended.

Item 9:            Premises/Health & Safet

                       1. June had requested that the piano be moved so she can clean the window sill behind it. Hugh moved it.

                       2. It had been reported that the bittmac was scuffed in various places following the recent warm weather. Hugh had been in touch with the contractor who                                  confirmed it was still oxidising and the scuffs should disappear provided visitors avoid moving the wheels of the vehicles whilst stationary.

Item 10:           Certificate Renewals:

There were none.

Item 11:          Any Other Business:

The Committee were reminded that their support with the Church Fete stall would be much appreciated as would contributions of bric a brac.

Item 12:          Fire Exit & Light Audit:

This has been done.

Item 13:          Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Thursday 17th July 2014

The meeting closed at 20.19

 

Confirmed as a true record of the meeting....................................Date....................

Signed by Chairman/Vice Chairman (sign as appropriate)

 

Web design by Devnox Ltd.