East Brent Community Portal

Village Hall Management Committee

Monthly Meeting Minutes - 15th May 2014

Minutes of Management Committee Meeting held at the Village Hall at 7.30 on Thursday 15th May 2014

 

Present: Hugh Mackay, Mike Grant, Janet Nurse, Dot Coles, Wendy Summers, Barbara Woodward, Jane Ratcliffe, June Jessop, Betty Griffin, Tony Collins.

Item 1: Apologies:

Ann Ellis, Pat Seabrook, Emma Allen.

Item 2: Minutes of the last meeting:

The Minutes were approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman.

Item 3: Matters arising:

1. Contact Fire Extinguisher Company to arrange for annual check. Janet has done this but it also appears that the contractor’s are aware of the check and will arrange a suitable time to do it.

2. Continue to oversee grant applications. This is ongoing.

3. Continue to liaise with contractor re outside woodwork repairs. This is ongoing.

4. Contact Steve McGreavy re doorbell and signing Emergency Lighting register. This is ongoing.

Item 4: Correspondence:

Janet had received correspondence on e-mail which has been forwarded around the Committee. They were as follows;

  • 6.5.14 Subscription Acknowledgement from CCS for 2014/15.

  • 13.5.14 Funding Bulletin from CCS

  • 14.5.14 CCS May Newsletter

Mike had received the following items;

  1. A letter from Sedgemoor District Council confirming that they would pay in respect of Polling Day on 22.5.14.

The Committee agreed that Betty should be paid £20.00 as she will be opening and closing the building to cover that day.

  1. A contract renewal letter from Keir Recyling, which he has signed and returned to confirm that we will deal with our waste responsibly Will all users please ensure recycling waste is placed in appropriate boxes, and if not emptied, leave the boxes out for corrective collection.

  2. A letter from Awards for All confirming a conditional grant for £3,000.00. Mike has returned the necessary documents and we await a response within 35 working days.

  3. A letter from Viridor stating that they are mindful of giving us a grant(amount requested £4000 including 10% from 3rd Party), but had to check with their legal advisors as to whether this was possible in the light of our Trust Deed.

.

Item 5: Treasurer’s Report:

See attached.

Restoration of outside Fascias etc

In view of the positive response from at least Awards for All, it was agreed by the Committee that the project should go ahead and that the fascia at the rear of the building should be included.

Hugh will meet with the Contactor(s) and also inform those not successful

 

 

Item 6: Hall Bookings:

Betty advised the following dates have been booked in addition to regular users.

  • 19.5.14 Parish Council in the Grace Hudson Room

  • 31.5.14 A Harp Workshop.

She also advised that she has received an enquiry from a company offering film show facilities to Village Halls. The Committee agreed not to proceed with this, due to excessive costs.

Item 7: Lottery:

10th Draw 15.5.14

1. £20.00 – 124 Bryan Willoughby

2. £30.00 - 12 Thelma Vowles

3. £80.00 – 36 Pat Seabrook

Item 8: Representative Reports:

  1. St Mary’s Church. Dot Coles reported that she is no longer Church Warden and supplied the following information;

  • 17.5.14 Christian Aid Soup Lunch served in St Mary’s Church.

  • 15.6.14 Open Gardens.

  • 5.7.14 Church Fete.

  1. Carpet Bowls. Tony reported that all was going well.

  2. Parish Council. Barbara reported the following;

  • The Annual General Meeting was well attended. Mr McDonald of the Royal British Legion spoke about re-establishing a RBL Branch in East Brent.

  • The defibrillator will be situated at the Medical Centre.

  • The children’s play area in Rooksbridge is to go ahead.

4. Line Dancing. Wendy advised that although numbers remained low she was continuing. She also confirmed that the key found recently had been issued to her.

5. Day Centre/Active Living. June Jessop had nothing to report.

6. History Group. Betty advised that information was being sought from villagers regarding WW1 - stories and photographs of family members who had been involved in the conflict in any way.

7. Harvest Home. Betty said there had been no further meetings since the last Village Hall Committee meeting, but the Harvest Home Committee had begun placing orders for food and drink.

8. Thursday Club. Jane reported that the attendance had been very good at the last meeting when the speaker had been Paul Temple who had spoken about the Luhimba Project in Tanzania.

9. Pre-School. Emma Allen was not present, but it was understood that the Mouse Race evening had gone very well.

Item 9: Premises/Health & Safety

  1. A water leak has been reported in the gent’s toilets. Tony had contacted contractor to resolve this.

  2. Steve McGreavy had noted the fact that door wedges were used on occasion and advised that should a claim ever need to be made in the event of fire, the presence of the wedges could invalidate the claim. He advised that the Committee consider fitting mechanical hold-open/closure units to some of the doors. The doors could then be left in the ‘open’ position, but should a fire occur, they would be automatically released and closed. Tony will do further research and report back to the Committee.

  3. Betty reported that she has a contact who specialises in double glazing and would be able to advise on the ‘whistling’ noises emanating from some of the windows in the main hall during strong winds. It was agreed that a quote be obtained for the purposes of resealing the windows to prevent the noise.

Item 10: Certificate Renewals:

  • Mike commented that although the subscription had been paid to the Performing rights Society, no updated certification had been received. Janet will enquire.

  • Contact is still awaited from the Hallmark Committee to update our Hallmark status.

Item 11: Any Other Business:

It was pointed out that the floor in the Ladies toilet around the sinks can be very wet due to the ‘swinging’ hot water taps. Hugh and Tony will make enquiries to see what alternative options there might be.

Item 12: Fire Exit & Light Audit:

This has been done.

Item 13: Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Thursday 19th June 2014

The meeting closed at 20.20

 

Confirmed as a true record of the meeting....................................Date....................

Signed by Chairman/Vice Chairman (sign as appropriate)

 

Web design by Devnox Ltd.