East Brent Community Portal

Village Hall Management Committee

Monthly Meeting Minutes - 20th March 2014

Minutes of Management Committee Meeting held at the Village Hall at 7.30 on Thursday 20th March 2014

Present: Mike Grant, Janet Nurse, Wendy Summers, Barbara Woodward, June Jessop, Betty Griffin, Tony Collins, Emma Allen, Pat Seabrook.

Item 1: Apologies:

Ann Ellis, Hugh Mackay, Dot Coles, Jane Ratcliffe

In the absence of Hugh Mackay (Chairman), Tony Collins (Vice Chairman), chaired the meeting.

Item 2; Minutes of the last meeting:

The Minutes were approved by the Committee and signed by the Vice Chairman.

Item 3: Matters arising:

1. Contact Kevin Lukins to replace locks on Ladies Toilet. This has been done. Check damp patch on Main Hall ceiling, and large window for wind noise and possible water penetration. Janet reported that Kevin advised that he was confident that the damp patch would be resolved when the outside gables work was done. He could find no reason for the wind noise or water penetration on the window other than exceptionally adverse recent wind and rain conditions.

2. Janet confirmed that a new First Aid Box has been purchased and placed in marked kitchen cupboard. The previous one was out of date.

3. Liase with Geoff Adams to arrange emergency repairs to roof following storm damage, and assess what is required to provide full repair. Mike confirmed that this has been done.

4 .Arrange printing of revised booking form, and display of Conditions and Users Guide and General Policies on internal Hall notice board if possible. Janet advised this has not yet been done,

5. Confirm specification of car park resurfacing with Hugh before settling payment with contractor. This has been done.

6. Make applications for funding re outside woodwork. Mike confirmed that this is underway.

Item 4: Correspondence:

Janet had received correspondence on e-mail which has been forwarded around the Committee. They were as follows;

  • Advice from Charity Commission regarding changes in their requirements for Annual Returns. 28.2.14

  • Notice of renewal of membership standing order collection by Community Council for Somerset. 18.3.14

 

Item 5: Treasurer’s Report:

See attached.

Mike advised that the balance held was now completely ‘unrestricted funds’ as the Grant money received has now all been out for the resurfacing project.

Item 6: Hall Bookings:

Betty advised that only one booking has been made in addition to regular users.

  • 9.4.14 Royal British Legion afternoon

Item 7: Lottery:

6th Draw – 05.03.14

  1. £10.00 – 2 Graham James

  2. £10.00 – 179 Janet Nurse

  3. £10.00 – 80 Tyler Bowers

7th Draw – 19.03.14

  1. £10.00 – Joan Walker

  2. £10.00 – 200 Barbara Bateman

  3. £10.00 – 157 Kathy Quinnell

Item 8: Representative Reports:

  1. Pre School. Emma Allen reported on 2 forthcoming events;

  • Easter Party on 3.4.14 when the Rev. Simon Lewis would be judging the Easter bonnet competition.

  • Mouse Racing Evening on 10.4.14

  1. Harvest Home. Betty advised that everything was going according to plan. It had been decided to hold the church service in the marquee immediately before the lunch rather than in the Church.

  2. History Club. Betty reported that the last speaker had talked about the First World War and the next speaker would be talking about the workhouse.

4. Parish Council. Barbara advised the following;

  • Discussion relating to the position of the defibrillator had been deferred to the next meeting.

  • Assuming favourable weather conditions, the restoration of the war memorial will commence on 12th May.

5. Day Centre/Active Living. June advised that the group were no longer managed by Social Services, but by a charitable sub group ‘You Can Do It’.

6. Line Dancing. Wendy reported that numbers remained constant, as new members joined to replace those that had left.

7. Indoor Bowls. Tony reported similarly.

8. Thursday Club. Pat advised that the last meeting had been an American Supper which had gone very well

Item 9: Premises/Health & Safety

  • Mike reported that the necessary emergency repairs had been made to the outside of the building following the storm damage at a cost of £90.00.

  • Tony reported that following the storm damage to the fascia board at the front of the building, he had been in contact with Western Power Distribution to check that the power cable attached to the wooden board at the Esast end of the building was safe. He had had a prompt response and as a result Western Power Distribution will be coming on 1st April to change the connection to attach to the stone work. Access to the inside of the building will be required and Betty confirmed that she would be available to arrange this.

  • `Tony will arrange for Steve McCready to check the front door bell with a view to replacing it if it is not repairable. It was considered desirable that the bell should ring within the main hall.

  • The Treasurer appraised the Committee of an estimate of the cost of replacing the gables around the Building. It was agreed that a request for funding of £4000.00 towards this should be made to Virador Credits by the Chairman or Treasurer as soon as possible.

Item 10: Certificate Renewals:

None are due, but Steve McGreavy is still to sign the emergency lighting record.

 

 

Item 11: Any Other Business:

Tony advised that the P A system would be repaired the following day. The microphone was no longer working properly.

Item 12: Fire Exit & Light Audit:

This has been done.

Item 13: Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Thursday 17th April 2014

The meeting closed at 20.15

 

Confirmed as a true record of the meeting....................................Date....................

Signed by Chairman/Vice Chairman (sign as appropriate)

 

 

 

Web design by Devnox Ltd.