East Brent Community Portal

Village Hall Management Committee

Monthly Meeting Minutes - 20th February 2014

Minutes of Management Committee Meeting held at the Village Hall at 7.30 on Thursday 20th February 2014

 

Present: Mike Grant, Janet Nurse, Dot Coles, Wendy Summers, Barbara Woodward, Janet Ratcliffe, June Jessop, Betty Griffin.

Item 1: Apologies:

Ann Ellis, Tony Collins Hugh Mackay, Pat Seabrook, Emma Allen.

In the absence of both Hugh Mackay (Chairman) and Tony Collins (Vice Chairman), the Committee nominated Betty Griffin to chair the meeting. June Jessop reported that she would be returning to the Committee as Active Living Centre Representative.

Item 2: Minutes of the last meeting:

The Minutes were approved by the Committee and signed by the acting Chairman.

Item 3: Matters arising:

1. Contact Steve McGreavy re Main Hall Emergency Light. The light is now working.

2. Obtain further quotations for restoration of timbers on roof and exterior painting. These have been received but the situation has changed following storm damage and will be addressed under Item 9 Premises /Health and Safety.

3. Organise replacement of locks on ladies toilets. This remains outstanding. Mike will speak to Hugh.

4. Respond to Burnham Easy Riders. Since Hugh was not present, no information was available, although Betty confirmed the proposed date has now passed.

5. Confirm dates of car park resurfacing. The job has now been done.

6. Obtain quotation for re-flooring East Corridor & Hall. This has now been done and the Committee agreed it was a great improvement.

7. Contact Kevin Lukins to replace hooks in cloak room. This has now been done.

8. Contact Geoff Adams to repaint sills in Main Hall. Mike confirmed that he has spoken to Geoff.

9. Correspond with possible Whist Drive Hall user. Betty Griffin reported that she has had no further contact from the organiser.

10. Apply for funding re outside restoration. This is ongoing.

11. Check on documentation for forthcoming Hallmark inspection. This has been done, copies distributed around the Committee for approval under Item 11 Any Other Business.

12. Contact June regarding frequency of general cleaning. Hugh has spoken to June.

Item 4: Correspondence:

Janet had received correspondence on e-mail which has been forwarded around the Committee. They were as follows;

  • Information on Somerset Emergency Flood Relief Fund from CC for Somerset. (6.2.14)

  • Invitation for applications for Village Agent position. (6.2.14)

Community Council for Somerset Newsletter (20.2.14)

Item 5: Treasurer’s Report:

See attached.

Item 6: Hall Bookings:

Betty advised the following dates have been booked in addition to regular users.

  • 26.5.14 European Parliamentary Elections.

  • 24.2.14 Band practice, with a further session in March.

  • 27.2.14 Solar panel presentation.

  • 1.3.14 Mrs Thorne for religious group meeting.

Item 7: Lottery:

1st Draw –25.12.13

1. £10.00 – 124 Bryan Willoughby

2. £10.00 - 101 Trevor Sandiford

3. £10.00 – 104 Mrs Vile

2nd Draw – 08.01.14

1. £10.00 – 189 Hugh Mackay

2. £10.00 – 80 Tyler Bower

3. £10.00 – 1 Trudi Ellis

3rd Drawer – 22.01.14

1. £10.00 – 153 Bill Walker

2. £10.00 - 49 Janet Nurse

3. £10.00 – 144 Doris Toomer

4th Drawer – 05.02.14

1. £10.00 – 11 Edith Roberts

2. £10.00 – 173 Fiona Wall

3. £10.00 – 38 Barbara Woodward

5th Draw – 19.02.14

1. £10.00 – 131 Sue Fountain

2. £10.00 – 173 Fiona Wall

3. £10.00 – 166 Pat Seabrook

Item 8: Representative Reports:

  • St Mary’s Church. Dot Coles reported that there has been discussion relating to the future use of the Church. Everyone was looking forward to Easter.

2. Line Dancing. Wendy Summers advised that the group may occasionally be led

by one of the other members. She sought the Committees approval which was given

3. Parish Council. Barbara reported that at the last meeting;

  • There had been discussion relating to the publication frequency of the Parish Magazine. The editor is experiencing difficulties in maintaining 10 editions a year due to time constraints. The Parish Council have agreed that the printing be done by someone else to ease the situation in order that the 10 publications a year can be continued.

  • Defibrillator Training. A disappointing 7 people had turned up.

  • Pilow Appeal. A final statement is awaited following recommendations made by the inspector.

4. Active Living/Day Centre. June Jessop reported that the numbers had reduced lately and they would welcome some new members.

5. Thursday Club. Jane Ratcliffe reported that despite the poor weather, there had been quite a good turn out to listen to the speaker Jane Flood who did some story telling. The next meeting will be an American Supper.

8. Pre-School. Emma had sent a message asking that the ‘dark den’ be left on the stage as previously agreed by the Committee. She commented that it had been removed recently.

9. History Society. Betty advised that the next speaker would by talking about The Workhouse.

10. Carpet Bowls. Nothing to report, everything was going well.

11. Harvest Home. Mike Grant reported that plans for the next event were well in hand. A suggestion had been made that a service be held in the tent immediately before the lunch, rather than in the Church as numbers attending the service held in the Church had dropped considerably.

Item 9: Premises/Health & Safety

1 .Mike reported that some roof tiles had become dislodged and a large piece of fascia board had blown down during the recent gales. Following inspection by a local builder, emergency repairs could be made to make the roof safe at a cost of £75.00. The Committee agreed.

 

Mike advised that 3 quotations had been received by Hugh Mackay prior to the storm damage for the restoration etc. of the woodwork and fascia around the building. The preferable (lowest) quotation was from Geoff Adams. However subsequent to the storm damage, Geoff had been able to see the method that the original fascias etc. had been fixed and had advised that this was totally inappropriate. He had suggested an alternative method of installing fascias and barge boards, which would be very much safer, as well as making future maintenance easier.

 

Mike also advised that a quotation of £1750 had been received by Geoff, subsequent to the storm damage, for restoration work on the fascia boarding on the damaged West end of the building, based on Geoff’s recommended method of installation. It was agreed that Geoff Adams’ advice should be taken and he was the preferred contractor to carry out all the necessary work in conjunction with his suggested roofing contractor, as he had already put in a considerable number of hours and his work was known to be reliable.

 

It was agreed that Mike should discuss the total situation including the potential insurance claim, with Tony Collins and they should then progress matters after e-mail consultation with Hugh Mackay.

 

2. A couple of issues were reported by members of the Committee;

  • Damp patches had appeared in the ceiling of the Main Hall and in the kitchen.

  • Wind noise had been causing a nuisance through the large window in the Main Hall by the kitchen door. It had also been noted that damp appeared to be getting in.

Janet will ask Kevin Lukins to check both of these

Item 10: Certificate Renewals:

None are due, but Janet was asked to check the First Aid Kit.

Item 11: Any Other Business:

The Committee were asked for their comments on a revised booking form and Conditions of Hire and Users Guide. Comments were noted as follows;

  • Correction to address of Betty Griffin on Booking Form.

  • Item 14 on Conditions of Hire to include ‘support’ dog in addition to ‘guide dog’.

  • A differentiation to be made between ‘Conditions of Hire’ and ‘Users Guide’ following concerns raised by June Jessop of the Day Centre regarding securing the front door.

Approval was sought and given for the updating dependent on the amendments being made as suggested. It was also suggested that they should be displayed in the Hall. Janet will arrange.

Mike also put forward updated schedules of Policies, both Financial and General, under which the Committee is operating. These were approved in their entirety and signed by the Chairman of the Meeting.

Active Living Group asked for the Committee to give permission for a visit by some ‘Dancing Dogs’ as dogs (with the exception of guide/support dogs) were not normally allowed in the Hall . This was given.

Item 12: Fire Exit & Light Audit:

This has been done.

Item 13: Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Thursday 20th March 2014

The meeting closed at 20.55

 

Confirmed as a true record of the meeting....................................Date....................

Signed by Chairman/Vice Chairman (sign as appropriate)

 

 

Web design by Devnox Ltd.