East Brent Community Portal

Village Hall Management Committee

Monthly Meeting Minutes - 16th January 2014

East Brent Village Hall

HALLMARK *

Registered Charity No.269419

Minutes of Management Committee Meeting held at the Village Hall at 7.30 on Thursday 16th January 2014

 

Present: Mike Grant, Hugh Mackay, Dot Coles, Wendy Summers, Janet Nurse, Emma Allen, Barbara Woodward, Pat Seabrook.

Item 1: Apologies:

Ann Ellis, Tony Collins, Betty Griffin, Jane Ratcliffe.

Item 2: Minutes of the last meeting:

The Minutes were approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman following correction to the date (from 19th Sept to 21st Nov) on the heading and ‘actioned’ inserted in place of ‘auctioned’ on the final item on the Confidential Attachment to the Minutes.

Item 3: Matters arising:

1. Contact Steve McGreavy re Grace Hudson Emergency Light. This has been done.

2. Obtain further quotations for restoration of timbers on roof and exterior painting. This is ongoing, 2 further quotes are awaited.

3. Organise replacement of locks on ladies toilets. Middlemoor have been contacted. It was also suggested that the lock in the gents toilet needed replacing as it seems that it is not possible to unlock it from outside.

4. Respond to Burnham Easy Riders. Hugh needed to speak to Betty to obtain the address, which he will do.

5. Confirm dates of car park resurfacing. This has had to be deferred to Spring Half Term since the aggregate suppliers closed over the Xmas period and the contractor was unwell in October.

6. Obtain quotation for re-flooring East Corridor & Hall. An amount of £684.00 was quoted and the Committee unanimously agreed to the work being undertaken. The job will take 2 days and could possibly be done over Half Term to minimise inconvenience to Hall users. Tony to make necessary contact.

7. Obtain Certificate for Curtain fire-proofing. This has now been obtained and placed on file.

8. Apply for Lottery License. This has been done and license obtained

9. Correspond with possible Whist Drive Hall user. Betty Griffin was not present to report.

10. Apply for funding re outside restoration. This is ongoing.

The Committee have applied for the Hallmark registration to be updated. An appointment is awaited.

Item 4: Correspondence:

Janet had received correspondence on e-mail which has been forwarded around the Committee. They were as follows;

  • Community Council for Somerset Newsletter

  • Community Council for Somerset briefing on behalf of ACRE inviting comment (28.11.13)

  • Invitation to donate towards ‘Surviving Winter’ support for elderly persons from SCC.(27.11.13)

  • SCC Oil Scheme information (28.11.13)

Item 5: Treasurer’s Report:

See attached.

Mike advised that there had been no unforeseen expenses, everything was going according to plan.

Item 6: Hall Bookings:

Betty was not available to report but the following were noted

  • 22.5.14 European Election. Pre-School have been advised.

  • 15.6.14 Open Gardens

  • 15.7.14 Garden Fete

  • 5 th February Parish Council for defibrillator demonstration.

Item 7: Lottery:

9th Draw –27.11.13

1. £10.00 – 108 Tony Collins

2. £10.00 - 39 Mary Keay

3. £10.00 – 182 Josie Cumisky

10th Draw – 11.12.13

1. £20.00 – 192 Jenny Bunn

2. £30.00 – 4 Margaret Liddington

3. £80.00 – 27 Gladys Bowden

Item 8: Representative Reports:

1. Active Living/Day Centre. Dot reported that they had renewed their Public Liability Insurance with effect from 16.12.13. Forthcoming events included a choir and a meal at Knoll Inn.

2. St Mary’s Church. Dot reported that all the Xmas services had gone very well and they were now holding a monthly service at Holywell Nursing Home in Brent Knoll.

3. Line Dancing. Wendy advised that she had renewed her insurance for the group. Although she had lost 2 members recently 1 new member had started and the group was continuing.

4. Parish Council. Barbara reported that

  • The appeal against the proposed Pilrow Wind Farm project was ongoing.

  • The necessary repairs to the war memorial had been approved. It was hoped they would be complete by November in time for the centenary of the First World War.

  • The new children’s play area in East Brent was complete and enquiries were underway to provide similar provision in Rooksbridge.

5. Pre-School. Emma advised that

  • They were currently running with 17/18 per session, and there were 24 on register.

  • They were planning a mouse race fund raising event in the near future.

  • She requested that the second row of hooks in the cloakroom, be replaced with the same type as on the bottom row. Janet will make contact with Kevin Lukins.

6. Thursday Club. It was reported that the speaker for January had talked about china collectables.

7. Harvest Home. Mike advised that the AGM was held on 15.1.14..

8. History Society. Pat reported that the discussion had been related to the Pilrow Wind Farm appeal.

Item 9: Premises/Health & Safety

  • Concerns were raised regarding the regularity of the cleaning, in particular the toilets.

  • It was agreed that the window sills in the Main Hall needed repainting. Mike will contact Geoff Adams to arrange this.

  • The heating and lighting in the Main Hall are being monitored.

  • Some of the curtain fittingsl in the Main Hall had been replaced after the rail had become detached.

  • A piece of fascia board came off the exterior of the building. This will be not a safety issue and will be addressed when restoration of the exterior is undertaken.

Item 10: Certificate Renewals:

PAT testing has now been done and certification received. The floor polisher failed and is to be removed. The electric carving knife used by the Day Centre also failed but is being repaired.

Item 11: Any Other Business:

The Committee are preparing for the forthcoming Hallmark inspection. A meeting to ensure all necessary documentation is in place, will be organised between Hugh, Janet & Mike.

Item 12: Fire Exit & Light Audit:

This has been done and it was noted that the emergency light in the Main Hall needs replacing. Mike will speak to Steve McGreavy

Item 13: Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Thursday 20th February 2014.

The meeting closed at 20.20.

 

Confirmed as a true record of the meeting....................................Date....................

Signed by Chairman/Vice Chairman (sign as appropriate)

 

 

Web design by Devnox Ltd.