East Brent Community Portal

Village Hall Management Committee

Monthly Meeting Minutes - 19th September 2013

East Brent Village Hall

HALLMARK *

Registered Charity No.269419

Minutes of Management Committee Meeting held at the Village Hall at 7.30 on Thursday 19th September 2013

 

Present: Hugh Mackay, Mike Grant, Janet Nurse, Betty Griffin, Jane Ratcliffe, Pat Seabrook

Dot Coles, Wendy Summers, Barbara Woodward.

Item 1: Apologies:

Ann Ellis, Emma Allen, Tony Collins

Item 2: Minutes of the last meeting:

The Minutes were approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman.

Item 3: Matters arising:

1. Continue to liaise with Steve McGreavy to complete certification for fire alarm, emergency lighting, and electrical installation check. Advise that emergency light in Grace Hudson Room is not working. Mike advised that certification has been received for electrical installation and fire alarm, but not for emergency lighting.

2. Confirm damaged roof tiles have been replaced. Mike confirmed they have been done.

3. Finalise loan agreement with Big Lottery Fund. This has been done and the first payment made. OFGEM have confirmed in writing that we may continue to claim FIT.

4. Await response to Grant Applications re tarmac resurfacing and make further applications if necessary. An amount of £7000.00 has been received from Big Lottery Fund and a grant of £1000.00 has also been awarded by Sedgemoor District Council. Lukins Surfacing will be undertaking the resurfacing of the outside area during the Half Term holiday at the end of October, weather permitting. We have been advised that the work will take 4 days and the expected cost is £7864.

5. Make further enquiries re paper towel dispensers. Dot advised that a trial of some interleaved towels is under way in the kitchen.

6. Agree necessary work re outside painting, with Geoff Adams. Mike advised that Geoff had given a very rought estimate that it may cost us around £3500.00 for painting and replacement of the rotten timber, but it was difficult to assess until closely inspected. It was felt that an amount of £4500.00 should be considered. Hugh sought the approval of the Committee for quotations from 3 contractors. Approval was given. He will prepare a schedule, and grants will be sought with a view to undertaking the work in 2014.

7. Arrange window cleaning. Betty advised that she had been awaiting the outcome of outside painting, but will now advise the window cleaner to come when convenient to all parties.

8. Acquire new trays for Hall users use and advise pre-school accordingly. The new trays have now been purchased and placed in the kitchen.

Item 4: Correspondence:

Janet had received correspondence on e-mail which has been forwarded around the Committee. They were as follows;

  • 29.7.13 Funding Briefing from Community Council for Somerset, together with training on offer by a partner organisation, Cascade.

  • 29.7.13 Charity Commission News.

  • 30.7.13 A communication from the Department for Culture Media and Sport to deregulate various activities from the Licensing Act 2003, asking for comments.

  • 7.8.13 Community Council Newsletter and Energy Renewal Guide.

  • 9.8.13 Letter and proforma for a funding opportunity with Sedgemoor District Council for Community Buildings.

  • 11.9.13 Community Council newsletter.

  • 11.9.13 Invitation from Community Council to attend their AGM on 25th October at Stoke St Gregory together with agenda.

Janet had also received a letter from PRS advising of a phone survey they were undertaking. She subsequently received a cal and dealt with their enquiries.

Mike advised that the Hall has been awarded a No 5 Food Hygiene Certificate following a phone consultation with Betty Griffin.

Item 5: Treasurer’s Report:

Mike presented the Annual Report and Accounts which were approved by the Committee.

In addition he recommended an increase in Hall hire charges as follows;

  • £26.00 to £27.00 per session.

  • £17.00 to £18.00 for concessionary users.

  • Use of cooker to be reduced from £7.00 to £6.00.

The Committee unanimously agreed to all of the above to take effect from 1.1.14.

Item 6: Hall Bookings:

Betty reported that in addition to the regular users, the following have been booked;

  • 19.9.13 and 21.9.13 – 1 hour hire on each day.

  • 21.9.13 Birthday Party.

  • 28.9.13 Coffee Morning in aid of McMillan Nurses. Betty requested that the normal hire fee be waived for this occasion. The Committee agreed.

  • 18.10.13 PTA Quiz Night

  • 23.10.13 A local resident has asked if the guests at their forthcoming family wedding be allowed to use the car parking in the Village Hall. The Committee agreed.(subject to the Hall not being booked)

Item 7: Lottery:

1st Draw – 08.0813

1. £10.00 – 164 Audrey Dinham

2. £10.00 - 40 Thelma Vowles

3. £10.00 – 132 Hugh Mackay

2nd Draw – 21.08.13

1. £10.00 – 101 Trevor Sandiford

2. £10.00 – 106 Gerry Webb

3. £10.00 – 166 Sue Woolmington

3rd Draw – 03.09.13

1. £10.00 – 164 Audrey Dinham

2. £10.00 - 158 Julie Ward

3. £10.00 - Mr G Ham

4th Draw – 18.09.13

1. £10.00 – 25 David Veal

2. £10.00 – 103 Mrs Vile

3. £10.00 - 72 Barry Townsend

Item 8: Representative Reports:

1. Thursday Club. Jane Ratcliffe informed the Committee that the group had enjoyed a skittles evening for their August meeting. The September meeting has been an exotic food demonstration during which they had had the opportunity to sample a range of unusual meats and snacks.

2. Line Dancing. Wendy advised that the group had continued meeting through August. The numbers were good and were sufficient to pay for the Hall.

3. History Club. Betty Griffin advised the Committee that there had been no meeting in August. The group plan to have a speaker every other month. The next speaker was due to talk about the workhouse in Axbridge.

4. Harvest Home. Betty confirmed that this year’s event had gone very well.

5. St Mary’s Church. Dot Coles advised the following

  • The Church Fete in July had raised £1200.00.

  • An analysis of recently distributed questionnaires was being undertaken.

  • Lights of Love Service was to be held on 3rd November at St Marys.

  • Work was in progress to create a wild flower area in the church yard.

  • The monthly church quiz held in The Knoll Inn had restarted.

6. Active Living/Day Centre. Dot Coles reported that recent activities had included a theatre group. The next speaker was going to present artefacts to stimulate memories.

7. Parish Council. Barbara reported;

  • The provision of defibrillators was ongoing. The telephone box (the proposed storage site) needed cleaning out.

  • The provision of 12 affordable homes in Rooksbridge was underway and due to be completed in 2014.

  • The war memorial was to be cleaned by Wells Cathedral Stone Masons.

8. Carpet Bowls. In the absence of the representative Tony Collins, it was reported that all was going well.

Item 9: Premises/Health & Safety

There was nothing further to report. All had been covered earlier in the meeting.

Item 10: Certificate Renewals:

  • Fire Risk Assessment was due by the end of October. Janet Nurse and Jane Ratcliffe will do this.

  • PAT certification is due. Mike will contact Steve McGreavy.

  • The Gas Certificate will be due in late October – Mike will contact Vince Davey in due course.

Item 11: Any Other Business:

June Leather had reported the following;

  • Sand in the disabled toilet waste bin making it very heavy.

  • Stain on the floor in the disabled toilet that she has been unable to remove.

  • Paint on the walls in the ladies toilet.

  • Sand in the outside area near the main entrance doors.

Betty advised that she had received glowing reports of the Hall following a recent Birthday party.

Pre-School have requested that the Hall be decorated in time for their Xmas Shopping Event in November. The Committee agreed. A date for the decorating will be set at the next meeting.

Item 12: Fire Exit & Light Audit:

This has been done.

Item 13: Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Thursday 17th October following the AGM at 7.30.

The meeting closed at 20.20

 

 

 

 

 

Web design by Devnox Ltd.