East Brent Community Portal

Village Hall Management Committee

Monthly Meeting Minutes - 19th June 2013

East Brent Village Hall
HALLMARK *
Registered Charity No.269419
Minutes of Management Committee Meeting held at the Village Hall at 7.30 on Wednesday 19th June 2013

Present: Hugh Mackay, Mike Grant, Janet Nurse, Betty Griffin, Jane Ratcliffe, Pat Seabrook
Dot Coles, Wendy Summers, Tony Collins, Barbara Woodward.  
 

Item 1:  Apologies:
                      Di Harris Bryant, Ann Ellis, Emma Allen.
 

Item 2:  Minutes of the last meeting:
The Minutes were approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman.
 

Item 3:  Matters Arising:
1. Prepare Record Sheet of Fridge Temperatures. Pre-School confirmed this is now recorded in their Risk Assessment Book.
2. Continue to liaise with Steve McGreavy to Complete Certification for Fire Alarm, Emergency Lighting and Electrical Installation Check. Tony advised that only the smoke detector sensor in the main hall, awaited changing and then certificates would be issued for all. Tony was advised that the light in the disabled toilet was not coming on with a power failure. He will check this and contact Steve if necessary.
3. Liaise with Geoff Adams re Cloakroom Renovation. This has now been completed and the Committee are very pleased with the results. Tony sought the approval of the Committee to replace the flooring tiles and had already obtained a quotation from C H Flooring together with a sample of the suggested flooring for which he had been quoted £245.00 to include VAT and labour. The Committee gave their unanimous approval. Tony will arrange.
4. Ongoing Correspondence in Respect of Solar Panels and FIT. There was nothing new to report.
5. Commence Grant Applications in Respect of Overlaying Car Park Area. Hugh confirmed that ;
Nuttall Trust advised that the application had been received too late for their last meeting.
District Council had decided to defer a decision and await the outcome of the Viridor and Big Lottery applications.
Viridor and Big Lottery applications are still awaiting SDC and PV Solar Panel funding issues, respectively..
6. Advise Kathy Quinnell of St Mary’s Church that the Committee will be Happy to Man their Usual Stall. Janet advised this has been done.
7. Contact Sign-Right to proceed with East Brent Village Hall sign to be fixed to side of building. Janet confirmed this has been done.
 

Item 4:  Correspondence:
Janet had received correspondence on e-mail which has been forwarded around the Committee. They were as follows;
16.5.13 An item from Community Council for Somerset providing information about Somerset+ Energy Group and contact details.
17.5.13 Charity Commission News.
24.5.13 Newsletter from Community Council for Somerset and guidelines for setting up a Village Hall website.
30.5.13 Notification of Community Council for Somerset AGM on 17 October at 2.00pm at The Williams Hall, Stoke St Gregory.
30.5.13 Community Council for Somerset notice of Trustee/Director Recruitment.
Betty had also received a promotional letter from Pinny & Petticoat offering vintage china hire.
 

Item 5:  Treasurer’s Report:
See attached.
 

Item 6:  Hall Bookings:
Betty reported that in addition to the regular users, the following have been booked;
22.6.13 Birthday Party.
7.7.13 School Jumble Sale. Betty advised that the school would not need as much as 2 sessions, but would need slightly more than 1 session. The Committee agreed that a flexible hourly rate be applied at anything over 1 session.
13.7.13 Mrs Thorn from Weston
20.7.13 Church Garden Fete borrowing the tables.
2.7.13 & 10.7.13 The dates are to be confirmed by the No Pilrow group.
 

Item 7:  Lottery:
  6th Draw – 29.05.13
  1. £10.00 – 162 Henry Pam
  2. £10.00 -  51 Dean Howard
  3. £10.00 – 183 Val Davies
  7th Draw – 12.06.13
  1. £10.00 – 188 Bob Turnbull
  2. £10.00 – 177 Joan Walker
  3. £10.00 – 99 Andy Grant 
 

Item 8:  Representative Reports:
1. Thursday Club. Jane Ratcliffe informed the Committee that the group had been entertained by the Chalice Morris Dancers and the evening had been very successful. 2. History Club. Betty Griffin advised the Committee that the exhibition organised at the beginning of the month had gone very well attracting visitors from further afield.
3. Harvest Home. Betty Griffin said that the bookings were going well and that the mole draining of the field was now complete.
4. Parish Council. Barbara Woodward informed the Committee that Ed Champion had been re-elected as Chairman and Val Rawles as Vice Chairman. Plans for the installation of the defibrillators were ongoing.
5. St Mary’s Church. Dot Coles advised the following
The food bank was going well
Attendance at the Wednesday morning cafe was variable.
The Open Gardens event went well.
There was to be a Saturday morning tidy-up in the churchyard, and there were also plans to create a managed wild flower area for which advice was being sort.
A Parish Away Day was to be held at Brent Knoll Village Hall on 6th July.
The Church Fete is to be held on 20th July. 
6. Active Living/Day Centre. Dot Coles said the group continued to thrive, although sadly one of their members had recently died. The group had enjoyed a meal at Rich’s Cider farm and a cream tea at the home of Cindy Tratt.
7. Line Dancing. Wendy Summers confirmed that attendance remained good although this is the time of year when she expects the numbers to fluctuate due to holidays. She also advised that she feels the need to sweep the floor each week before the session starts, as any deposit could cause a slipping hazard.
8. Carpet Bowls. Tony advised there was nothing to report.
 

Item 9:  Premises/Health & Safety
Tony advised the Committee that there was a shortage of teaspoons and  one of the Day Centre organisers would be purchasing some.
Paper Towels. Dot advised that she felt that the paper towel dispenser was not operating efficiently often dispensing several towels at once. She will speak to June Leather regarding type of dispenser used.
A possible leak was reported in the ladies toilet. This will be checked at the conclusion of the meeting. 
 

Item 10: Certificate Renewals:
We still await certification from Steve McGreavy for fire and emergency lighting check and electrical installation.
Mike confirmed that the Insurance had been renewed on similar terms.
 

Item 11: Any Other Business:
Betty sought and was given the approval of the Committee to place a banner across the front of the Hall, to advertise the Harvest Home.
 

Item 12: Fire Exit & Light Audit:
This has been done.
 

Item 13: Next Meeting
The next meeting will be on Wednesday 17th July 2013 at 7.30.
 

The meeting closed at 20.20

Web design by Devnox Ltd.