East Brent Community Portal

Village Hall Management Committee

Monthly Meeting Minutes - 15th May 2013

 

                                                       East Brent Village Hall

HALLMARK *

Registered Charity No.269419

Minutes of Management Committee Meeting held at the Village Hall at 7.30 on Wednesday 15th May 2013

 

Present: Hugh Mackay, Mike Grant, Janet Nurse, Betty Griffin, Jane Ratcliffe, Emma Allen,

Dot Coles, Wendy Summers, Tony Collins.

Item 1: Apologies:

Di Harris Bryant, Ann Ellis, Pat Seabrook, Barbara Woodward,

Item 2: Minutes of the last meeting:

The Minutes were approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman.

Item 3: Matters arising:

1. Arrange to fit lagging to dripping condensation from pipe work over cooker. Tony confirmed this has been done.

2. Continue to liaise with Steve McGreavy to complete certification for fire alarm, emergency lighting and electrical installation check. Tony advised the following;

i. Fire Alarm This check awaits completion.

ii. Electrical Check awaits completion.

iii. Emergency Lighting. It was noted that the emergency lighting in the Grace Hudson Room is not working. Tony will advise Steve.

3.Liaise with Geoff Adams re Cloakroom renovation. This is to be done during the Half Term break although at the time of meeting no actual day had been arranged.

4. Ongoing correspondence in respect of solar panels and FIT. There was nothing new to report.

5. Commence grant applications in respect of overlaying car park area. Confirm total area with contractors. Hugh confirmed that he is in the process of submitting applications to Sedgemoor District Council, Nuttall Trust, Viridor Credits, Big Lottery Fund.

6. Contact Aid UK to advise textile container is not required. Janet confirmed this has been done.

7. Obtain quotation for sign to read ‘East Brent Village Hall’ to be erected on the side of the building above existing Pre-School sign. Janet advised that ‘Sign Right’ have quoted £65.00 to include installation. VAT is not applicable. The Committee agreed unanimously to proceed. Janet will arrange.

8. Approach Parish Council with a view to erecting flag direction sign to Village Hall. In her absence Barbara Woodward advised that the Parish Council were looking into it.

9. Investigate fridge thermometer and fridge record sheet options. Betty advised that there was a thermometer in the fridge. Pre-School will organise the record sheet.

Item 4: Correspondence:

Janet had received correspondence on e-mail which has been forwarded around the Committee. They were as follows;

  • 19.4.13 An item from Community Council for Somerset attaching a press release from ACRE outlining current consultation on draft guidance on how food law applies to food provision in village halls and other community activities.

  • 13.4.13 An enquiry from Kathy Quinnell on behalf of St Mary’s Church asking whether the Committee wish to have a stall at the fete on 20th July. The Committee agreed they would. Janet will advise Kathy.

Janet had also received an invitation to obtain a building insurance quotation for the Hall. This was passed to Mike Grant.

Item 5: Treasurer’s Report:

See attached.

Item 6: Hall Bookings:

Betty reported that in addition to the regular users, the following have been booked;

  • 1 and 2nd June 2013. History Society are setting up an exhibition.

  • 8.6.13 Booking by Royal Life Saving Society.

  • 9.6.13 Booking by St Mary’s Church for Open Gardens.

  • 22.6.13 & 23.6.13 Birthday Party Bookings.

Item 7: Lottery:

4th Draw – 01.05.13

1. £10.00 – 34 Alan Baker

2. £10.00 - 63 Mario Dolcezza

3. £10.00 – 77 Robert Bunn

5th Draw – 15.05.13

1. £10.00 – 132 Hugh Mackay

2. £10.00 – 96 Christine Hussey

3. £10.00 – 02 Graham James

Item 8: Representative Reports:

1. Day Centre. Dot Coles reported that the last speaker had used the microphone which had made things much easier. Next month the group were having lunch out one day and a cream tea on another day.

2. St Mary’s Church. Dot Coles advised that a Soup Lunch during Christian Aid week had gone very well.

3. Thursday Club. Jane Ratcliffe reported that the last speaker had given a very interesting demonstration on filling hanging baskets and containers.

4. History Club. Betty Griffin reminded everyone that the group would be presenting an exhibition in the Hall on 1 & 2nd of June. The next speaker would be talking about the British Legion.

5. Harvest Home. Betty Griffin advised that everything was going well in preparation for the August event. The food orders were being made.

6. Line Dancing. Wendy Summers confirmed the group was going well and that 2 ladies from Glastonbury had recently joined.

7. Pre-School. Emma Allen reported that there were currently 20 children on register. 4 new children would be starting in September as a result of a recent open day. She also advised that she had recently attempted to use the wifi in the Hall but was unsure how to access it. This will be checked after the meeting.

8. Carpet Bowls. Tony Collins advised that there was nothing to report.

9. Parish Council. In the absence of Barbara Woodward, Janet read out her report which confirmed that the defibrillator is still going ahead.

Item 9: Premises/Health & Safety

There was nothing to report.

Item 10: Certificate Renewals:

We still await certification from Steve McGreavy for fire and emergency lighting check.(Tony) and electrical installation. Tony confirmed that the fire extinguisher check had been done and certification received and Janet has placed it on file.

Item 11: Any Other Business:

There was none.

Item 12: Fire Exit & Light Audit:

This has been done, and the non working emergency light in the Grace Hudson Room discovered.

Item 13: Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Wednesday 19th June 2013 at 7.30.

The meeting closed at 20.36

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Web design by Devnox Ltd.