East Brent Community Portal

Village Hall Management Committee

Monthly Meeting Minutes - 17th April 2013

Minutes of Management Committee Meeting held at the Village Hall at 7.30 on Wednesday 17th April 2013

 

Present: Hugh Mackay, Mike Grant, Janet Nurse, Betty Griffin, Barbara Woodward,

Dot Coles, Wendy Summers.

Item 1: Apologies:

Jane Ratcliffe, Di Harris Bryant, Ann Ellis, Tony Collins, Emma Allen, Pat Seabrook.

Item 2: Minutes of the last meeting:

The Minutes were approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman.

An amendment was made to the confidential attachment which should have been dated 20th March not 20th February.

Item 3: Matters arising:

1. To advise Parish Council that the Village Hall Committee would like funding towards the refurbishment of the Cloakroom (viz returned cheque for £400.00 re solar panels) Also to remind them of outstanding £15.00 for Xmas lights. Mike confirmed that payments of £400.00 and £15.00 in respect of the two aforementioned items have been received. Also payment in respect of booking fees.

2. Forward ‘unlocking code’ for telephone to Pat Seabrook and Betty Griffin. This has been done.

3. Explore possibility of installing lagging to condensation dripping pipe over cooker. It was confirmed that Tony has purchased the required lagging and Hugh will install it at a time to be arranged between them.

4. Tony to liaise with Dot, Barbara and Betty to arrange to empty the cupboards in the Cloakroom prior to refurbishment. This is ongoing.

5 .Ongoing correspondence regarding solar panel installations and FIT entitlement. Mike reported that there has been little progress to date, correspondence continues.

6. Contact Steve McGreavy re Domestic Electrical Installation Periodic Inspection Report and Emergency Lighting and Fire Alarm Certification. Tony advised via Hugh that Steve has done the Emergency Lighting check and is now able to issue the appropriate certificate. The Fire Alarm test was also completed but an unserviceable strobe light/sounder in the main hall needs replacing before he can issue a certificate. The 3-yearly EIS check has been completed and a cracked cover needs replacing. When all repairs are complete certificates will be issued.

7. Report Outcome of Estimates for Overlaying Surfacing to Car Park. See Item 9 Premises /Health and Safety.

Item 4: Correspondence:

Janet had received correspondence on e-mail which has been forwarded around the Committee. They were as follows;

  • 2.4.13 Following a telephone enquiry, information was received from Planet Aid UK requesting the citing of a textile bank in the outside area of the Hall, to help raise funds for the charity. The Committee agreed that since there are already so many door to door clothing collections, the Community was well provided for. Janet will contact Aid UK to advise we do not want a textile bank.

  • 3.4.13 Community Buildings Newsletter from Marjie Dorley.

  • 11.4.13 Communication from Community Council for Somerset advising of Village Agent Presentation on 1 May at Woolavington Village Hall.(Revised Date). The Committee agreed that since we have already met our Village Agent (February meeting), there was no need for a Committee representative to attend.

  • Mike had received;

  • 1. Information from Western Power that the electrical supply to the Hall will need to be disconnected to enable them to do some maintenance work on 26 April. They will be doing it from 3.00pm so that the Day Centre will not be affected. Dot confirmed that Pat Seabrook will await their arrival and that Dot will check when they will be finished. Mike and Betty should be available to see them out, if need be.

  • 2. He has received a quotation from Geoff Adams for £485.00 in respect of the Cloakroom renovations. Mike proposed this be accepted and the Committee agreed unanimously. It was suggested that the Half Term week would minimise disruption to the Hall. Tony will liaise with Geoff.

  • 3. Correspondence from Tessa Munt regarding FIT and solar panels is ongoing.

Item 5: Treasurer’s Report:

See attached.

Mike also advised that the accounts do not reflect the wi fi installation, electrical works done by Steve McGreavy or the possibility that the lottery grant and FIT funds received to date may have to be returned. He also advised that the water consumptions had been substantially increased over the winter period. Additionally, steps had been taken to reduce the power used by the nightstore heaters, which is of little benefit to Hall users.

Item 6: Hall Bookings:

Betty reported that in addition to the regular users, the following have been booked;

  • 20.4.13 All day Saturday booking for garden furniture sale.

  • 2.5.13 Voting

Item 7: Lottery:

1st Draw – 20.03.13

1. £10.00 – 191 Pat Turnbull

2. £10.00 - 81 Gerry Webb

3. £10.00 – 115 Anne Cufflin

2nd Draw – 03.04.13

1. £10.00 – 152 Day Centre

2. £10.00 – 143 Shaunna Rutherford

3. £10.00 – 113 Klaus Kemp

3rd Draw – 17.04.13

1. £10.00 – 10 Jacqui Collins

2. £10.00 – 14 Pat Seabrook

3. £10.00 – 159 Mark Broomsgrove

Item 8: Representative Reports:

1. Carpet Bowls. In Tony Collins’ absence, Hugh Mackay reported that there were 18/19 on the books and a new person had expressed interest in joining.

2. St Mary’s Church. Dot Coles reported that all the Easter services had gone well. Following the resignation of one of the church wardens, a new one was to be appointed.

3. Day Centre. Dot Coles reported that they had had a very interesting talk by the Life Boat Institute. They had approximately 19 members attending.

4. Parish Council. Barbara Woodward reported;

Sand bags for use in flood emergencies, would be stored in the Church Office car park.

The installation of a defibrillator was still planned with a view to keeping it in the phone box.

A suggestion that the war memorial needed cleaning was under review. The Parish Council had been advised that funding may be available from the War Memorial Trust.

5. Harvest Home. Betty Griffin advised that discussion regarding field drainage had continued, but a field mole option had been agreed upon as a cheaper trial option.

6. History Society. Betty Griffin reported that the meetings continue to be well attended. A display in the Village Hall was planned in June. The next speaker was to talk about George Reed.

7. Line Dancing. Wendy Summers advised that a new member had joined the group, and that everyone was very pleased with the Hall.

8. Thursday Club. Janet Nurse informed the Committee that the last speaker had spoken about Ostrich Farming and had addressed a group of about 20 members.

Item 9: Premises/Health & Safety

1. Wendy advised that the floor had needed sweeping before the group could start. Debris on the floor can cause accidents when dancing.

2. Quotation for Overlaying outside area. Hugh had received 3 quotes, but one of the contractors had disputed the area which he will check. Including VAT and adjusted provisionally for increased area, but excluding any contingency sum, the amounts quoted range from £8000 to £9500. Hugh asked the Committee if they would like him to commence grant applications. This was agreed.

3. Emma Allen had sent a message to ask if we kept a fridge record sheet. It had come up during a recent health and food training course. Betty will look into this, and may be able to provide a fridge thermometer.

4.Wendy advised the Committee that the signing on the side of the building ‘East Brent Pre-School’ had misled her into assuming the Hall was just a pre-school, and she had not enquired earlier about hiring it for line dancing. The Committee agreed it would be a good idea to also put up a sign ‘East Brent Village Hall’ to avoid future confusion. Janet will arrange a quotation for the sign. The Committee also requested that Barbara ask the Parish Council about the possibility of a flag direction sign on A370.

Item 10: Certificate Renewals:

We still await certification from Steve McGreavy for fire and emergency lighting check.(Tony).

Domestic Electrical Installation Periodic Inspection Report is due. Tony will ask Steve McGreavy about this.

Item 11: Any Other Business:

There was none.

Item 12: Fire Exit & Light Audit:

This has been done during the day, although it was noted that the Fire Alarm check had not been done since 25th March, as a result of the Easter holidays.

Item 13: Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Wednesday 15th May 2013 at 7.30.

The meeting closed at 20.36

 

Web design by Devnox Ltd.