East Brent Community Portal

Village Hall Management Committee

Monthly Meeting Minutes - 16th January 2013

 

 

 

East Brent Village Hall

HALLMARK *

Registered Charity No.269419

Minutes of a Management Committee Meeting held at the Village Hall at 7.30 on Wednesday 16th January 2013

The Chairman welcomed Nigel Lloyd Jones in his capacity as a member of the Parish Council.

Present: Hugh Mackay, Mike Grant, Janet Nurse, Betty Griffin, Tony Collins, Dot Coles, Pat Seabrook, Barbara Woodward, Nigel Lloyd Jones – observing.

Item 1: Apologies:

Jane Ratcliffe, Ann Ellis, Emma Allen.

Not Present; Di Harris Bryant

Item 2: Minutes of the last meeting:

It was agreed that the preamble relating to the inspection of the storage facilities in the building undertaken by the Committee prior to the Management Committee Meeting, be deleted from the Minutes and filed as an attachment. It was deemed to be not part of the meeting and therefore inappropriately included on the Minutes. The Chairman was therefore unable to sign the Minutes until the alteration was made.

Item 3: Matters arising:

1. Chase up fire alarm and emergency lighting certificate from Steve McCreavy. Continue to resolve ‘boxing in’ and inverter problem with Steve McCreavy. Arrange with Steve to replace fluorescent tubes in main hall.

  • Tony advised that he still awaits the certificates.

  • The inverter now appears to be performing accurately but whetherit is maintaining its full potential cannot be confirmed until the summer months.

  • The fluorescent tubes have been replaced apart from the second tube in one of the fittings. Steve confirmed that the fitting needed replacing but would then not match the others and since the lighting was quite adequate, it was agreed that this could wait until the others also needed replacing.

2. Liaise with Geoff Adams re corner protectors/refit shelf in kitchen cupboard to store china. The shelf in the kitchen cupboard has been replaced. The corner protectors are still ongoing.

3. Organise Broadband installation with Matt Lewis and BT. This is ongoing. The device will be delivered to Mike who will then contact Matt Lewis to make the installation.

4. Order and Install cupboard for Active Living. Tony confirmed this has been done. The Committee agreed that the old one could just be disposed of.

5. Confirm with Community Magazine that the Hall advertising be continued. This has been done.

6. Advise Parish Council re renewing of Xmas lights and one-way problems outside the Hall. Barbara confirmed this has been done. Everyone expressed their appreciation of the improved Xmas lights.

7. Obtain selection of suitable chairs to replace existing ones, and organise a suitable viewing day. Hugh arranged this and also brought them to the meeting for those who missed the previous opportunity. However the Committee voted 6:2 against replacing the chairs. Instead it was agreed that Betty Griffin would obtain a quotation for cleaning the upholstery on the existing chairs. She has been given a rough idea £2.00 per chair or £3.00 to include Scotchguarding. It was unclear whether this included VAT.

8. Renew Lottery License. This has been done.

Item 4: Correspondence:

Janet had received correspondence on e-mail which was forwarded around the Committee on e-mail.

  • 9.1.13 From Jason Tinley at CCS, advising workshops for setting up small businesses.

  • 11.12.12 Advising of the appointment of Christine Stephens as a Village Agent.

  • Latest edition of Thatch Magazine.

She had also received a reminder from PPR that our license needed to be renewed. This has all now been done. The lottery license has also been renewed.

Mike Grant had received correspondence inviting applications from Lottery Awards for All, who are now able to award up to £10,000 per year to successful applicants..

Item 5: Treasurer’s Report:

See attached.

In addition Mike added that there has been no untoward expenditure and the income from hire fees at this stage is the same as the previous year.

He also asked the Committee to approve on a pay increase for the cleaner. This was agreed unanimously. (see Confidential Attachment)

He advised the Committee that Kevin Lukins fitted a padlock to the old shed without a charge. Keys have been passed to Tony Collins and Betty Griffin.

Item 6: Hall Bookings:

Betty reported that there have been no firm additional bookings for January. She has received a provisional booking for Parish Council elections on May 2nd. She received an enquiry from someone wishing to hold line dancing classes on a Wednesday evening but hasn’t heard back. The Day Centre cancelled their session for Friday 18th January as snow is forecast.

Item 7: Lottery:

1st Draw – 31.10.12

1. £10.00 – 33 Hilda Sims

2. £10.00 -149 Monica Stephens

3. £10.00 – 40 Thelma Vowles

2nd Draw – 14.11.12

1. £10.00 – 196 Claire Darby

2. £10.00 – Peter Spinks

3. £10.00 – 96 Christine Hussey

3rd Draw – 28.11.12

1. £10.00 – 177 Joan Walker

2. £10.00 – 73 David Wheeler

3. £10.00 – 115 Ann Cufflin

4th Draw – 12.12.12

1.£10.00 – 3 Molly Mead

2. £10.00 – 106 Gerry Webb

3. £10.00 175 Jean Ferguson

5th Draw – 26.12.12

1. £10.00 – 142 Pat Rutherford

2. £10.00 – 132 Hugh Mackay

3. £10.00 – 80 Tyler Bowers

6th Draw – 09.01.13

1. £10.00 – 107 Ruth Pearson

2. £10.00 – 184 Wendy Kingdom

3. £10.00 – 168 Irene Wilson

Item 8: Representative Reports:

1. Bowls. Tony Collins confirmed that everything was going well.

2. Active Living. Dot Coles advised, that the group is now full. During December they enjoyed a theatre group, bell ringing and are looking forward to listening to a choir booked for later in January. They had also received an amount of approximately £600.00 from Waitrose.

3. St Mary’s Church. Dot Coles informed the Committee that the Carol Service and Crib Service had gone very well. A Lent Breakfast was to start in February, and there were to be 2 Christingle Services very soon – one in Lympsham and one in East Brent.

4. Parish Council. Barbara Woodward advised the following;

  • In the absence of the Chairman, Val Rolls had chaired the last meeting.

  • Christine Stephens had introduced herself and explained her role as Village Agent to the Parish Council. She is holding a Drop In Meeting at Berrow Village Hall on 8.3.13.

5. Harvest Home/History Group. Betty Griffin reported that there have been no meetings of either group, since the last village hall committee meeting.

6. Thursday Club. Janet Nurse reported that the group had enjoyed their Xmas meal at the Knoll Inn. January’s meeting had been well attended (approx. 23 people), the speaker Peter Tinney had given a very entertaining talk. Betty enquired who now held the key on behalf of Thursday Club. Tony confirmed that Jacqui Collins had the key and he would arrange for her to sign the relevant form.

Item 9: Premises/Health & Safety

  • The Committee agreed that since it had been decided not to replace the hall chairs, the next project should be overlaying the surface of the outside area. Hugh will prepare a specification and seek some quotations.

  • Pat advised that the kitchen inset sink needs sealing. Janet will make contact with Kevin Lukins.

  • There was some discussion relating to the now disused metal cleaning cupboard in the Store Room, there were various suggestions including using it in the Small Kitchen, but the Committee agreed that it should be disposed of.

  • Tony will lead discussions relating to refurbishment of the Cloakroom in consultation with Dot, Barbara and Betty, and obtain quotations.

  • Mike asked that the Committee consider how new users to the Hall could be encouraged. Barbara will also put this to the Parish Council.

Item 10: Certificate Renewals:

We still await certification from Steve McCreavy for fire and emergency lighting check.(Tony). No other certificates are due.

Item 11: Any Other Business:

  • The Committee agreed that the Minutes must be formally approved before publication on the Village Website.

  • Dot reported that the Hall generally requires a good clean before the Day Centre session can start. She particularly identified the microwave as being left in a very dirty state on occasions, but confirmed that the main hall floor nearly always needed sweeping.

TO ALL HALL USERS - Please ensure that you leave the Hall and any appliances you use in the kitchen clean and tidy.

Item 12: Fire Exit & Light Audit:

This was done but could not be recorded as the record book is awaiting return.

Item 13: Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Wednesday 20th February 2013 at 7.30.

The meeting closed at 20.50.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Web design by Devnox Ltd.