East Brent Community Portal

Village Hall Management Committee

Monthly Meeting Minutes 25th July 2018

Minutes of Management Committee Meeting held at the Village Hall at 7.30 on Wednesday   25th July  2018

                       

Present:         Mike Grant, Janet Nurse, Barbara Woodward, Betty Griffin, June Jessop, Pat Seabrook, Dot Coles. 

Item 1:             Apologies:

                        Hugh Mackay, Kay Clarke, Jacqui Collins, Jenny Hudson.

In the absence of Hugh Mackay the meeting was chaired by Vice Chairman Betty Griffin.

Item 2             Minutes of the Last Meeting.

The minutes of the meeting held on May 23rd were approved by the Committee and signed by the Vice Chairman.

Item 3:            Matters arising:

The only item was the Hallmark Inspection which had taken place on 16th July attended by Hugh, Mike, Janet and Betty. The inspectors professed themselves very happy with all the current arrangements, so we just await written confirmation of the award.  The inspectors suggested that we compare our Hall Hire Agreement with the ACRE model document, regarding child protection, and we consider combining our Conditions of Hire and Hall Users Guide. Hugh volunteered to take on this task.

Item 4:             Correspondence:

Janet has forwarded all items of correspondence received on e-mail around the Committee.

Item 5:             Treasurer’s Report:

See attached.

Item 6:             Hall Bookings:

Betty advised that there had been no additional bookings recently, apart from the 4 Music Therapy sessions booked earlier.

Dot suggested that maybe we could arrange to have an advertising board on the side of the building in addition to the current Pre-School and Village Hall signs. It could read something like, ‘This Hall is available for booking. Contact……………..etc’.  This was acknowledged as being a good idea depending on regulations and Hugh’s advice would be sought.

Item 7:             Lottery:                      

                        7th Draw – 6.6.18

  1. £10.00 – 177 Joan Walker
  2. £10.00 – 136 Nicky Broomsgrove
  3. £10.00 – 29 Gordon Williams

8th Draw – 20.6.18

  1. £10.00 – 69 Alan Linnett
  2. £10.00 – 83 Bob Filmer
  3. £10.00 – 84 Ann Robson

9th Draw – 4.7.18

  1. £10.00 – 197 Pamela Frost
  2. £10.00 – 152 Day Centre
  3. £10.00 – 42 Carol Howard

10th Draw – 18.7.18

  1. £20.00 – 87 John Robins Walker
  2. £30.00 – 25 Dave Veal
  3. £80.00 – 11 Phil Coles

Item 8:             Representative Reports:

  1. Day Centre. June reported that numbers remained at 9 members attending on average each week.
  2. Parish Council. Barbara reported that the Joseph Pound Play area in Rooksbridge had received a good report following a recent inspection by Sedgemoor, and that applications had been invited for the ‘Chairpersons Award for Service to the Community’ which would be discussed at the next meeting.
  3. Slimming World. Jenny had sent word on e-mail to Janet that although all was fairly quiet at the moment, this was usual for the time of year. She herself had resigned but another consultant would be taking over. Jenny requested a copy of the key holder form to pass on to the new consultant. Betty was advised and supplied with contact details.   
  4. St Mary’s Church. Dot advised the Committee that
  • Although there was currently an Interregnum and no controversial decisions would be made regarding the churches within the parish, until a new vicar had been appointed, essential maintenance would continue. To this end it had been decided to advertise for an overseer in each village to take charge managing maintenance work. This would include obtaining quotations and co-ordinating contractors work.
  • There had been no interruption to current worship as replacement clergy were in place.
  • The parish would have to fund the £800 advertising fee charged by the Church Times, to publicise the vacancy. To this end Woodlands were hosting a meal with a set price ticket to help raise the necessary funds.
  • The Church Fete hadn’t made as much as usual, not helped with a football match and tennis finals on the same day.  
  1. Harvest Home. Betty advised that everything is now in place and tickets were due to go on sale very soon.
  2. Carpet Bowls. Pat reported that everything was ‘ticking over’.  

Item 9:             Premises/Health & Safety

  • Steve McGreavy will be asked to replace the battery on the kitchen door close when doing his annual Fire Alarm and Emergency Lighting check. Mike will also advise him of the issue on the previous Saturday when Slimming World arrived to find the fire alarm continually ringing.
  • Pat requested that an insect lamp be installed in the kitchen. Mike will ensure Steve is advised of this when contacting re above, so he can quote.
  • Pat also advised that the various detergents in the dishwasher will need replenishing very soon. It was suggested that Tony Collins may have instructions but failing this the installer will be contacted with a view to doing a maintenance check as well.
  • Dot has very kindly agreed to apply weed killer to the outside area.
  • Concern was expressed over the recent installation of a new ramp to the Pre-School shed as it has been screwed into position making removal much more difficult when access to the drainage inspection cover is needed.  It had previously been attached by a hook so removal was very straightforward. Hugh has already contacted Emma to express concern and ask for the screws to be replaced by hooks again, so it was hoped this would be resolved very soon.
  • It has been noted that Fire Doors have frequently been left open at the conclusion of a session. PLEASE NOTE IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT ALL DOORS ARE CLOSED BEFORE LEAVING THE HALL.  
  • The Committee as a whole expressed dissatisfaction over the general cleanliness of the Hall. Although regular users were making an effort to clear up after themselves, the Main Hall floor was acknowledged as needing some intensive cleaning, to maintain a good standard of cleanliness, as the current level does not make it attractive to potential hirers.           

Item 10:          Certificate Renewals

  • Fire Extinguisher Check. Janet will arrange.
  • Fire Alarm and Emergency Lighting. Mike will contact Steve McGreavy
  • Fire Risk Assessment. Janet will arrange.    

Item 11:          Any Other Business:

                        There was none

Item 12:          Fire Exit & Light Audit:

This has been done.

Item 13:          Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Wednesday 26th September 2018.  The meeting closed at 20.25.

 

Confirmed as a true record of the meeting....................................Date....................

Signed by Chairman/Vice Chairman (sign as appropriate)

 

Web design by Devnox Ltd.